Importance of Amplifier versus Preamp?

New in the field. I am wondering what is most important: a great amplifier with a good preamplifier, or a good amp, with a great preamplifier? Or should I look at a good amp with a great do certain brands make amplifier to go with preamplifier and receivers?
Thank you kindly.
rockanroller
Almarg
thank you kindly for the "teaching moment" about Mr Carver.
Much appreciated.
Rockanroller.
ZD- I'm always eager to listen to someone who is passionate and not afraid to express their opinion, but really
the only thing that you've proven is that you know how to make a fool out of yourself
You off your meds again ;-) Give the guy a break. We wring our hands about the shortage of new blood in this hobby and then someone new comes along and you $hit all over him. You're entitled to your opinion and even to express it honestly, but that was a little bit over the top (IMO).

Rockanroller- There are no stupid questions. Lots for all of us to learn. Except ZD. And Bo. Steer clear of Bo. He'll have you spending $20K on cables for your $5K system.
"You off your meds again ;-) Give the guy a break. We wring our hands about the shortage of new blood in this hobby and then someone new comes along and you $hit all over him. You're entitled to your opinion and even to express it honestly, but that was a little bit over the top (IMO)."

Normally, I would agree, but in this case I think my comment was justified. The OP starts the thread claiming to be new to audio and is looking for advice. Nothing wrong with that. That's what these threads are for. But if you read his last couple of posts, its clear that he wasn't being honest with us. He had his mind made up right from the start. All the sudden, he starts preaching about science and psychology, 2 topics that he clearly knows very little about as you can see from the ridiculous info he references. So, if he was honest with us right from the beginning, that's fine. He didn't do that, and I don't like being tricked.
I didn't take it as trickery (meaning deliberate) at all. Just a guy who is reading and learning and listening and expanding his horizons and may go down a few wrong paths. I'm quite a cynic but I didn't read it that way. It can be hard to discern intent w/o facial and verbal cues; I could be wrong. Happened once or twice...since dinner ;-)