Vandersteen 5a or Eggleston Andra II

This question is for those of you who have listened to the Vandersteen 5a AND the Eggleston Andra II or who purchased one after listening to BOTH.

I am looking at upgrading from the Energy Veritas 2.8 to one of these speakers.

I listen to everything except country. I love the built in 400 watt amps in the 5a, and I love the tweeter in the Andra II.

I have read all the reviews on both of these speakers and would like to hear from you as to why you like one over the other.

Thank you in advance.
rknight
Both are great speakers and I am sure you would be happy with either, I am a huge 5A fan (just so you know) but what is really great with the 5A is the bass tuning to suit your room, you also have adjustment for tweeter and such, the Egglestons are fantastic but the Vandy has so much to offer with adjustments you cant go wrong. Think of it this way, with the 5A tuned to your room that could be a huge financial and space savings having less or no need for large traps and treatments.
I agree with TVAD.
I have the Fontaines (the top 3/4 of the Andras) and have come to a conclusion in my search for a full-range speaker, as I audition more and more speakers I always end up preferring the overall presentation of the Fontaines over all others (Daedalus, Orions, Sonus Faber, Salk, Vandersteen 2Ce, Tannoy, etc. - all excellent speakers). The deciding factor for me keeps coming down to its tweeter, which sets it apart from all others. It has a very taught and tunefull bass, as most of these other speakers do, but that tweeter, combined with the taught bass and solid as a rock (because it is rock) cabinet structure has yet to be matched in my listening experiences for enjoying music. It presents, to me, the perfect combination of being engagingly warm, yet still clear and detailed, unlike any other speaker I've heard.
I finally realized that what I have is best for me and have suspended my search for a different speaker, unless I come upon an Andra I can afford. Until then I have decided to pursue a poor man's alternative to the Andra: Fontaines with stereo subs.
As TVAD stated, go with the speaker that possesses the tonality you prefer. I did, and am ever glad for it.
Good luck, and trust your ears and soul.
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I live in So Cal and I can't find an Eggleston dealer nearby to audition the Andras, which is why I'd like to hear from those of you who have auditioned/purchased them.

My research generated another question regarding the Andra II: I read the Isobaric cabinet design and driver loading method is not as desireable as other speaker designs.

Can anyone with knowledge on this give more information on this?

Thanks in advance.
I own Andra IIs and I admit they take time and effort to set up perfectly. It was a long haul to get them sounding their best but once I got them set up right they sounded/sound fantastic. They image extremely well, have deep, tight bass and the soundstage they produce is very deep and very wide.

They sound damn accurate to me throughout most of the freq. spectrum but getting tight bass from them was a big challenge.

In my 14 by 18 foot room they produced too much boom so I invested in a great stack of bass traps. These lowered the boom substantially. My less than expert measurements (and my ears)show the room to be pretty flat - not perfect but close enough.

I have heard the 5As and I like them. But the 5As ,in my opinion, sound more colored than the Andras - the Andras sound very transparent to me while the 5As sounded like they were a major ingredient of the flavor of their system rather than a window to the gear upstream. This is how I view the Andras, as a clear window to the electronics and the source feeding them. Any change I make in my system has VERY obvious effects at the speakers.

I assume the 5a's adjustments would make them a snap to set up in most rooms. I never had a problem loading my listening room with traps to sort out the Andra's bass but I know not everyone can do this.

I was fascinated by the isobaric woofers when I first heard about them too. I haven't read anything really negative about this configuration. Can you post a link to the info you've read? It won't change my mind about the speakers though. I had them for a few months before I even knew they had two woofers in there!
I have Andra IIs in a 22' X 13.5' X 9' living room, no sound treatment but about 40 framed prints on the wall which breaks up a lot of wall reflection. I have never been a big fan of what seems to be called tight bass by audiophiles, because that isn't what you hear in a hall, either large like Carnegie or even in a small recital hall, since there is so much reflected sound at most points in the hall. When the AIIs are teamed with amps which can control the woofers (I use Mac 501s) they put out what sounds to me remarkably like what I hear live. As to setting them up, my experience is that they present such a wide soundstage with so much center fill, that as long as they are 2-3' from the back wall, 7-9' from each other, on some sort of device (I use Aurios Pros on a rug) to isolate them from the floor, and not too sharply angled in, moving them around (which isn't easy, anyway) didn't change the sound too much. I'm not challenging anyone else's experience, I'm just saying that I have found them about the easiest speakers to live with I have ever owned. (Now the original Andras--they weren't so easy....)