Are dome midrange better than cone designs?

I have noticed that companies like ATC and Audio Technology use a dome midrange. Is there and advantage to the dome design? It does not seem to be used much.
cdc
I really like the ATC's I have heard. One problem for me is the need to be played loud before they come alive. Shadorne's ATC link also mentioned this.
Is this true with all dome mid's? I only listen at 60-70dB and 75 is getting pretty loud. That is why I have been able to live with tang-bands 3' ~full range speaker.
I suggest you discuss this on Selah Audio's AudioCircle site. Rick Craig has a lot of experience with dome mids and is very approachable.
Metro04,

I am not sure about the general poor imaging of dome mids. This may be one of the design challenges, I don't know. The ATC's image as well as anything I have heard but that is not what really differentiates the dome mid sound. The easiest way to explain it is to hear the speakers from outside the room or far off axis...unlike almost all other designs the sound remains completely natural and does not change character or timbre no matter where you stand/sit. The other striking feature is the way vocals sound completely convincing (not recorded) and not just in a narrow sweetspot too.
Whats the sonic tradeoff for domes vs inverted domes? I had ADS speakers with dome mid and tweeter and they were bright! My last 2 speakers have inverted domes, cones without a dust cap I call them but the lack of glare would probably be due to being modern and much more expensive than having to do with cone type. As to a radiating pattern you describe above that might suggest the wide dispersion of the dome could have more reflected energy that could overload some rooms?

For me it’s a matter of how can I use less crossover parts. Less parts equals more open. But less parts also means you need to be better at voicing cabinets. More mass in a cabinet design also results in more crossover parts. The three ingredients are Cabinet (including fill or lack of), Drivers and Crossover & Wires.

Anytime you find yourself using more parts that means your trying to fix something, and drivers start to squeeze the signal the more they need fixed. The magic of a cone is that if you’ve done your cabinet as an extension of the sound a cone will require less fixing and can sound super natural and relaxed (effortless).

Michael Green