Best speakers for 3 cord rock and roll

I'm looking to set up a 2 channel system to primarily listen old fashioned R&R (Beatles, Stones, Ramones) and some classic country (Cash, Nelson,Williams). What's better for this type of music - cones or planars? My budget is $2k for a used pair.
scott_wojo
Rockadanny - I'm really interested in what you hear in the new room since this about the same size as my room. If you can, listen to some old british rock to see how the recordings from the 60's sound. I'm located near Ann Arbor Michigan so it is doubtful I will be able to hear the horns unless I buy them.
Thanks
One of the all time great rock speakers is the Gale 401a.

These need heaps of power to really open up [you need an amp that can deliver 400 watts into 4 ohms],but are one of the few speakers that stay really clean and coherent at volume.They are one of the least boxy sounding speakers ever made and the bass from two sealed box 8 inch woofers is incredibly powerful and tight.

You get to hear the music-not the box.
I have a pair of these in my second system and nothing I have owned[including Klipsch and Edgar horns can do rock or blues like them].They also do the all the audiophile stuff and can sound very refined.

Most Gales do need woofer and mid rebuilds though.Replacing both surrounds and spiders is essential to bring them back to their original performance.
Scott_wojo - Sure will. Ann Arbor? The last time I was in Ann Arbor I was standing inside the stadium feeling mighty queezy as Colorado just scored the winning touchdown in the final seconds in what, for me, was UM's most shocking and sickening loss of all time. I haven't been able to convince myself to go to another game since. That, and the fact that I moved 800 miles away the following year. Boy, do I miss Zingerman's. Now I'm hungry.
Scott why not go and audition some speakers at Paragon

I think you will be impressed. They carry several respected brands and are in your home town!

Nothing is better than your own ears in an audition, Ask to hear ATC SCM 19's and SCM 40's some Def Techs and B&W's. They even carry Wilson's so you can compare. If you go on a weekday when they are not busy then they might let you experiment for several hours.

You are not obliged to purchase anything be honest about your budget and tell them that you want to hear things in your range but also their best fare - dress nicely and be courteous and go when they are not overwhelmed with customers....and bring a few favorite CD's...good luck.

Oh ...and report back please!