Anybody else heard the Avalon Acoustics Isis?

I spent a delightful afternoon on friday listening to the Avalon Acoustics Isis speakers. These retail for $62000.00, so I was expecting a high level of performance, but was still surprised at how wonderful these speakers were at creating the sound of real music.

Even though this was in a store environment with electronics that are not my favorite cup of sonic tea, current Mark Levinson gear, the Isis's offered the following:

1) I'm quite enamored of the type of soundstage and natural layering that planer dipolar speakers provide, my home reference are MG-20's, the Isis was one of the few box enclosure speakers that offered this type of illusion regarding space. They just did not disappear, but offered this very natural 3D imaging without making individual players sound like "cutouts" against a background, but layering in a very natural way that sounds more like live music.

2) Great macrodynamics and resolution without sounding etched or in your face, and this was with electronics that I personnally don't find to be very musical! I would want to hear these speakers with a great tube pre and SS amps like Pass Labs XA's.

3) The whole sonic presentation was seemless, again reminding me of what great planer speakers have to offer, with a quick and rock solid bottom end.

I have listened to Wilson's, Kharma's, B&W's, Magico's, Dali's reference speakers on other occasions, and I was not as impressed as I was yesterday. Am I trading my MG-20's for the Isis's, no but if you have a chance to hear them I think you find it a very enjoyable experience.
teajay
I think the TAD Ref-1 is a nice alternative.Same price range too.It has the distinct advantage of a dual concentric midrange/tweeter,and constructed with berrylium.Stunning clarity and exceptionally coherent.Also,it employs two "ten inch" bass drivers(not beryllium here),which though smaller than the Isis' bass drivers,are constructed in a brilliant way.The rubber surrounds have multiple folds,and allow for very large excursions,with amazing linearity and detail.A MUST to audition,at this price range,and a brilliant design.
Good luck.
Sirspeedy,

TAD Ref One? Sure, if you like very wide baffle loudspeakers... And shortcomings that such wide front baffle is bringing... I audition it in NY Stereophile show and although impressive, its voicing is not my cup of tea. Sweet spot is pretty narrow(look at toe-in in all TAD show presentation, they use more toe-in then Wilson) IMO.
TAD Ref One is indeed very impressive technical design but, musical and engagin?
Thanks Branimir for the info, a good friend has the X2's and awaiting to receive MK2's. I have to say it may be his set-up but they only impressed me short term and you need to play very load. Now the Rockports you have mentioned sound very intriguing as I have done some research but big bucks so I my expectation of their performance would have to be very high.

You mentioned in your thread you don't like the sound of the MBL's, just curious what is it that you don't like. I can't believe these, they sound scary realistic and the best over all that I have owned. I have owned Avalon's (Diamond, Isis), IRS Infinities (their flag ship speakers), Mag 20.1, Martin Logan, Apogee, Wilson, Eggleston, Revel, Quads, B&W,PMC BB5 active to name a few.

As any speaker it is important what you match them with proper cables and electronics including your room but nothing is perfect but these 101's WOW!. It will be very hard for me to listen to box speakers, my friend was over who owns the Wilsons and left in awe. He goes to shows allot which I don't and said he never thought of getting them because of what he heard but after hearing mine his thoughts have now changed 360 degrees and he realizes that his can't reproduce what the 101's can.

I'm not one of these guys if you don't like what I have or say something negative gets upset because all I'm trying to do is recreate the best I can in my own home for my own enjoyment and not for others but when guys haven't heard or only heard at shows start commenting please don't wast our time, I'm not suggesting in anyway that you are one of these individuals but allot of others do this. They have the attitude mines the best bla! bla!I read a thread recently from this guy about the CAT JL3 SIG MK2 amps pretty well suggesting they were crap in so many words, what a joke and thank goodness others jumped in setting the record straight. That being said I have learned allot over the years and I'm never shocked and will try about anything just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Teajay above has been great, his reviews very helpful and I have to say so far he has been spot on with reviewing some of the identical gear that I happen to have also. A+ for you Teajay we need more like him.

When I was at another members home and had the pleasure to hear the MBL's for the first time the image was not that precise and big but I don't seem to be having that issue, my image is just so slight less focused and in size (were talking about the size of the head of the performers along with the mouth size etc.) than my Eggleston's but with the added 3D holographic image going on it absolutely surpasses what the Eggleston's could do and the bass is the best I have ever had in this room. Putting these speakers onto Sistrum platforms just totally transforms them assisting in better base and more focused images.

Are the MBL's the best? nope, I don't think there is a best out there only different. Out of the speakers I mentioned above that I have owned previously the Eggleston's 1st and 2nd the Mag. 20's but two different images being cast along with other things going on but if I had a huge space the IRS Infinities were very impressive but need a very very large room to perform properly.

The Avalon Isis speakers are great but I have to say I really don't miss them and the MBL's are doing a marvelous job of allowing me to enjoy each and every performance.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! to all.
Dev,

Is there anything about the Avalon Eidolon's that you "miss" now that you have the MBLs? I own Eidolon's (non diamond version) myself and have been considering moving to the MBL's for some time. I have heard them at CES the last 2 years straight (and at RMAF), and can't pull myself away from them. Of course these are show conditions for better or worse. I have never been able to hear them side by side with Avalon's though, and wonder what I might "miss" about them if I make the switch. Since you have had the privilige of owning both in your home, I was hoping you could provide some insight.
Hi Sydsrig, Avalon's are great speakers. When I first owned my Diamond's and then replaced them with the Isis it most defiantly was an upgrade. If you were asking me; should I upgrade to the Isis from my Eidolon's would it be worth the extra money? My answer would be I never owned those but owned the Diamond's and the Isis most defiantly was a upgrade.

The MBL's are marvelous speakers and can do things that I personally have not heard any other speakers do. You your self have admitted that for the past 2 years you have heard them at shows and can't pull your self away from them so that must be saying something. All audio gear is personal and you are the one who needs to be satisfied and not me so you need to listen and make the decisions and not let others sway you.

All I can do is pass along is my experience's but you most defiantly need hear for your self prior to making decisions. I have not missed my Isis in anyway and even my good friend who is a die hard Wilson lover is absolutely blown away since coming over and hearing them the other day. I can't wait until I get these new amps in my system, I am anticipating that they will sound different than my current Pass X600.5's and anxious to find out will I prefer them ? won't know until it all happens.

I would recommend you refer to the MBL threads to get more info. from the other members regarding their thoughts who have owned them for years.