Speakers that do rock justice ...

I'm looking at buying a pair of PSB Stratus Gold i's due to their ability to play rock music VERY dynamically , but without sounding strained or compressed. Is there any other speaker I may be missing that I should take a look at as well ?
Thank you
meansrt
Well, this seems like a thread made for the
Emerald Physics CS-2. Worth a check at least
depending on your budget.
I have not heard them yet, but have a pair on order.
Here are a few rockers that have used the speakers mentioned by Bongofury; Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Robert Plant, Roger Taylor, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz, Sting, Lou Reed, Rick Springfield, ACDC, INXS, Suzanne Vega, Ian Anderson, Simple Minds, Mike Oldfield, Tears for Fears. Some have them at home whilst others have them in their private studio.

If you are looking for extreme dynamics with low distortion then this is worth adding to your list.. The SCM 19's and 20's have the largest motor on a six inch woofer in the world. Old school speakers. Boxy designs. Massive magnets. Short coil in long gap. Specially designed not to thermally compress at high SPL levels. (Most consumer designs compress by 6 db or more and sound dull at rock concert levels, the small voice coils get very hot and the woofer linear excursion (Xmax) is often too small to play cleanly.)

Nearly every review I have seen remarks on how loud they play. They also have wide dispersion which means your friends can enjoy it too (big sweetspot). Good luck.

Horns are another option that you should look at quite seriously such as JBL baboon's butt! Although extremely efficient compression horn designs (very loud) can have a tendency to honk at elevated levels (This is a physical non linearity of the air compressed in the throat of the horn)
many other threads - same subject on agon in the past.

Get some BIG JBLs: L200, L300
Play Jeff Beck Freeway jam and they will make your ears bleed.
consider magnepan 20.1. this speaker is minimally inaccurate, dynamic nad has deep enough bass.
try the non-cone solution. don't follow the herd.
Sorry Mrtennis - I've got the 20.1's biamped with 1400 wpc total power, and I still wouldn't say they are especially dynamic. They are alot of other great things - natural, spacious, tonally balanced, large soundstage - but I would not put dynamic on the top of the list of their strengths. I am still working on though - and with the new custom crossover (on its way), that may open things up a bit. They need A LOT of amplification - be prepared to spend at least as much as the speaker in amplification!