What do you think of Vandersteen 5a's?

I am considering buying a pair of 5a's to complement my Ayre gear. There does not seem to be a dealer in Denver so I have never heard any type of Vandersteen speaker. I have heard both great things about them, and a few disparaging comments. Funny sometimes the positive remarks speak to the same items the negative remarks complain of (detail, soundstage, dark character, lack of resolution etc). Can they really make two different people feel that differently? Can anyone give me some advice on whether to take this leap?
mmike84
I would offer that you shouldn't use a dealer for a demo if you've already decided to buy used (which is fine and a
good idea). It's simply not fair to the dealer.
I bought my Ayre equipment from Rick in Ft. Collins (he had a trade in for sale) so I am familiar with him. He's a nice guy as you said Tom. He doesn't have any 5a's and would only therefore be an option for new. Either way he doesn't have any 5a's to listen to. I'm sure he could arrange a demo but as Narrod aptly pointed out that's not fair. I try to stay away from new because for one your money can go a lot farther used (usually close to 2x), and secondly when I get the bug to try something else I can basically swap out for little or no loss.
I say go for the used Vandersteens. Pay Rick a reasonable fee to drive to your place to set them up properly. Provide Rick a nice meal with preferred alcohol drinks of choice and after dinner have an enjoyable evening listening to your new(used) Vandies. If the hours go by quickly and embibement goes into excess, have Rick stay the night and drive back home the next morning. Sounds like a fun weekend to me.(o:
Sherod,
A night with Rick might not be worth the money.
I would recommend going seperate ways after dinner.
But in general it is a very good idea.
Thanks everyone for the great advice, and recent humor. I think that's what I'll do.