Gallo Reference 3.1 questions...

Howdy,

Just toying with the idea of owning some Gallo Ref 3.1s...

TOYING!

The sub amp is described by some as mandatory, while others describe the speakers as bass rich even without it. Shall I merely infer from this that those who think it mandatory are big ol' bass fiends? Certainly with a 10" driver, I can't imagine it sounding at all anemic.

If a sub amp really is neccessary, does it HAVE to be the Gallo? Couldn't I just use any old amp to run the woofs? Not for nothing, but they need to have their speaker designers take 10 minutes off and help the amp dudes come up with a nicer looking amp. It looks like a DIY kit.

What would be smokin IMO, looks wise, is a Jeff Rowland Concerto integrated running the speakers and a pair of 201s running the subs.

Next Q... I have a tiny joint. Actually I stopped smoking. I have a small apartment. If I placed the Gallos in the hallowed 1.5 foot squares of floorspace I have allocated for speakers, with woofers facing each other, the left one would be inches away from my TV/audio stand, woofer pointing at the rack. The stand is open sided, not solid sided, but I wonder if this could pose a problem.

If I set them up with woofers facing away from each other, the right one would point into my kitchen area, but the left one would face a window about 2-3 ft away, with a big fat AC in it. In the summer the AC runs quite a bit.

OTOH, reviews seem to indicate that the staging on these is very wide (but short, I know), so I wonder just how critical placement is anyway.

Any insights?

Thanks

Rob
rkny
I agree. In my room, they are incredibly flat from about 120 hz on up. As I previously wrote, my room has a suckout beginning about 90 hz. I suggest that what you are hearing is either the upstream components, more likely the room, set up, or a combination of all three.
I own the gallo 3.1's on mapleshade stands. driven by YBA PASSION 1000, 250 watt
amp. I was using the passion 1000 pre amp. Now using Promitheus reference tvc. the Gallo requires very good electronics. palcement is critical. I don't use the sub amp. I was using a JM LAB Utopia Be sub with an internal 1000 watt bash digital amp. Many have been astound at the sound from this system. Some state they've not herd these speakers sound like this befoe. Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade records set them up for me. My listening romm is 40x27 ft. From your distances, they're a bit too close to the rear wall and much too close to the side walls. My set up is 4" from rear wall about 6" from side wall at 10" apart. Pointing woofers in or out is effected by room size. I sit about 3" from the speakers. Toed in so that I can see both sides of the paper cones. I like deep bass. It deliveres deep articulate bass. soundstaging, detal,and all are there in spades.
This is an inch sign -- "
This is a foot sign -- '

Repeat after me :-)

Actually it doesn't make much sense even in feet. If you sit three feet from the speakers and the speakers are ten feet apart, even if you're right between them, it wouldn't work out. Sorry, but you have to admit this is kinda funny.
Oh, I've tried near field listening, but tell me again how you sit 3 feet from each speaker and the speakers are 10 feet apart. Won't work even if you sit BETWEEN them.