Hyperion HPS-938 speakers

Has anyone had any experience with the Hyperion HPS-938? Seem to be having a problem with them being bright in the top end, lean in the mids, and light on the base. In all the reviews I have read never any talk of these problems. I have Arcam gear and Nordost cables. Have had them for quite some time. Any thoughts??
hawkeye43
Home theatre and high quality Hi-Fi is definitely possible and it doesn't necessarily have to cost an arm and a leg to do it right. I am not a huge advocate for Home Theatre since I have left that journey and started or more like revisited the roots of the original multichannel experience - "Stereo" . But this time with the fresh start which means, eliminating all of the unnecessary distractions like, SACD, DVDA, AC3
, DTS, THX etc. and video from my consideration. While educating myself how to do it right and with caution and fear of making mistakes that I will have to pay dearly in case of failure. That adventure was and still is very enjoyable and fun. Considering the fact of very small loses due to in home auditions, blind.....or more like deaf purchases of used gear online and time that was invested in auditioning, attended trade and costumer shows. This of coarse wasn't a matter of weeks, months but years.
In my humble opinion it is extremely difficult to accomplish both with a single component such as HT processor, which is design with multitasking and versatility in mind. Incorporating every aspect of HT experience , sacrifices had to be made. And I don't care what the manufacturer's claims are about specifications, noise, integral separation and interference is, as it is impossible to achieve the Holy Grail of both Worlds in the single unite......However for someone with adequate funds strategically allocated in key components and willing to reach the the goals of uncompromising performance isn't all that difficult.
I would suggest the best component for HT duties. I am unfamiliar with present gear and/or what that might be ( I had a Krell Showcase prepro at one point. That is as far as my experience goes. Heard other gear but I am sure it all have change by now). For HT only , I like Anthem Statement D1 Preamp-Processor , which I have heard plenty and believe to be an excellent product for the money. I am sure that you know many others just as good but remember....its purpose is only uncompromising HT performance.
Stereo duties will belong to separate linestage (preamp) with HT pass-thru input. There are many great choices from both families. Solid State as well as tube preamp.
Setup is easy. You have to setup your new stereo rig first.
Connect the source like CD, LP or stereo outs of your SACD player to linestage as those would be used strictly with stereo mode. Then , connect the stereo preamp to your right front and left front amplifier channels and you are almost done. Now use the left front and left right "out" on your HT processor and connect those to left and right HT pass-thru "in" on your stereo preamp and remaining channels (C,BR, BL) to amplifier channels for the center, back left and back right channels. That is it you are done. How it work? Simple, when you are listening to your stereo system, just use the linestage and stereo components that you want to listen and which are connected to the preamp. You HT has nothing to do with it , you have to separate systems now. When you choose to watch some movies or play some multichannel tracks nothing special is require. Signal for "L" & "R" front is unaffected and linestage acts like it is not even there. It simply passing the signal thru. It is bypassing all the circuitry and it doesn't degrade the signal.

My recommendation for one of the best preamps that I know of from my experience is Dodd Audio battery powered preamp with 2 6922 tubes and absolutely unaffected by power line filth since its 4 batteries can power this baby up to 20h on 1 charge. What is cool about it is that when you use the HT pass-thru Dodd doesn't need to be turn on. So when your wife wants to watch movies, simply turn the selector knob on Dodd and you can turn it of.....that is it, done. If she wants to listen to music, turn on the Dodd - select the source (CD,SACD stereo input, satellite radio or LP). Easy???? I think so. Your wife might also find it stress free and fun after few tries.

Here are some links

Dodd first impressions

stereo mojo review

10 Audio review

six moons review

It sells for $3300 new but for limited time it is on sell directly from Dodd's website or Walter of Underwood (that is where I bought mine) - price is $2495 but I am not sure if the special sell offer period is still going on. Check with Walter of Underwood or Gary of Dodd Audio.

Take care , do some reading ask around, search and you will find what you want.

Cheers

Mariusz
>>absolutely unaffected by power line filth<<

First of all not all ac power can be characterized as filty. Most of us have discovered a way to cope with suspect ac power if in fact it exists.

Buying a battery powered component simply because ac power MAY be poor (operative word is MAY; it is not absolute and there are solutions if it occurs) is very poor decision making. Don't forget battery power almost always limits dynamics. There is no battery powered component I would own or sell including the garage brand mentioned here.
Now use the left front and left right "out" on your HT processor and connect those to left and right HT pass-thru "in" on your stereo preamp and remaining channels (C,BR, BL) to amplifier channels for the center, back left and back right channels.

Sorry for that it should say :

Connect the left front channel out and Right front channel out from your HT prepro - to left and right HT pass-thru "in" on stereo preamp.

Don't forget to select HT pass-thru on stereo preamp when you want to watch movies or listen to multichannel music.
Dodd doesn't need to be "ON" but it must be in HT mode. When listening to stereo source, choose the appropriate input on the linestage that corresponds to the source that you want to listen and which is connected to linestage. Volume on linestage is by-passed when in HT mode. For movies use the volume on your HT processor.

Sorry, it is late and I am seeing in double.

Take care

Mariusz
No- Dodd as well as many others have two sets of outputs for bi-amping. So you can easily connect one amp to pre-out -A- and 2nd amp to pre-out -B-.