Headphones vs loudspeakers

Could you tell why headphones sound better than loudspeakers in general? When listening to music through headphones you hear more details, more ambiance and at the same time the sound is more pure than through loudspeakers. It's also as if you can listen to inferior CD-player without sacrificing much of the sound quality. Even with an excellent audio system the sound has less immediacy and is not so detailed as with headphones. What is the problem with audio systems? Are we dealing with psychoacoustics or...?

Chris
dazzdax
A small (single) driver can do many things so much better than larger drivers. Less mass means faster response times, less resonance (ringing and/or stored energy), and because the sound is being delivered very close to the ears, SPL levels don't need to be nearly as high, resulting in less distortion. It's much easier for head/earphones to be cleaner, more linear, more detailed, in a word, more 'accurate.' In addition to this, you've eliminated the room's acoustics which may contribute a higher proportion of total sound heard than you might expect, possibly more than half.

What you gain in detail and intimacy, you loose in soundstage and imaging. I've not heard binaural recordings. They may be the answer to the "inside your head" effect. However, you'd need 'bodyphones' to get the visceral delivery to *feel* the bass.
You can "have it all" with speakers, if you have the room and the budget, but cans will always lack soundstage and impact. IME, detail and smoothness can be equal.

Dave
Dazzdax,
I do not agree that headphones sounds better, from my system I can hear even more details, and reality, and acoustics sounds than the sound through the best headphones
For those with headphones that sound better than you speakers, you can close or eliminate that gap. That might be a good goal for you speaker system.

Dave
I have the Sony MDR 10 headphones. These are one of the best phones out there. As enjoyable as they are, I still prefer my main stereo system most of the time. When I decide to listen to music, I go downstairs, turn on the stereo and kick back. I never choose headphones. The only time I listen to the headphones anymore is when I might put something on before going to sleep. Headphone system is in the bedroom.