Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, "The present is best appreciated in the future". I say this because of your statement about me seeing Coltrane live. At that time, I was disappointed because he had gone into his "exploratory" mode as opposed to playing what I had heard on records.

Today, I heard "Invitation" that you submitted by Trane, and I was swept away by the awesome greatness of the man, and his ability to "improvise". When I saw Trane, he had properly deduced, "That if you wanted to hear what he had recorded on records, you could have stayed home and played the record". Trane was blowing what he felt at that moment.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I bought that LP when it came out, and I still don't know what Modal music is. Yes, ignorance is true bliss, and I've always liked the happy people.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, Sweet! I had not heard that. I think the only Harold Land I have heard is ''A study in Brown". Thanks.
Today's Selection:

Miles davis -- Milestones
with / Cannonball, Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones

A lot of talk about this one being an outstanding example of MODAL Jazz. Like O-10, I am not even sure what that means. 'Kind of Blue' is another MODAL outing.

The only thing I noticed was that the horns seldom if ever played at the same time. The piano player, Garland, seem to just stab at the notes he played. He was very much in the background. This could have been by design or just the recording. I didn't notice any thing other than great playing by the bass and drums.

In any event, this is one great recording. The soloing is just awesome. It all seems so uncluttered. No blowing just to be blowing. I 'reviewed' the '58 concert, Stella by Starlight, a while back. This is the same group. Anything by this group is a must have. We will never again see this much talent together, in such a small group.

Sometimes we tend to just take guys like Miles and Coltrane for granted. We say they were great, almost as an after thought, but they really were! This CD demostrates that they were on a level above the rest.

You know the drill. Ain't got it? Git It!

I just ordered the Harold Land. I had to remove a 'Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt', to fit him in. He'd better be worth it. :)

Cheers
************ Yes, ignorance is true bliss, and I've always liked the happy people.*************

Thanks, I think?

Cheers