Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, just thinking about those days takes my breath away. Each and every one of those songs has a special meaning for me. I just can not believe that life was that grand once upon a time, but it was.

Enjoy the music.
I went on youtube to listen and watch the Brasil '66 babes. there off to the side was Ella doing 'Mack the Knife', had to hear it. In sweden I think. She even did a little Satchmo, hanky and all. Hell, she out Satchmoed the Satchmo!!

And off to that side was Nina talking about some 'Sinnerman'! If would have been a sin not to dig it.

You can stay on youtube all day if you aren't careful.

Ella and Nina!! What planet were these people from??

Cheers
Rok,
Your comment about You Tube is so true.I`ll pick a song, say,"It never entered my mind", or "These Foolish Things" and just enjoy the variuos versions,vocal or instrumental.What a great resource it is.
Charles,
Today's Trip:

Dexter Gordon -- One Flight Up
with/ Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, Art Taylor, Niels-Henning Orsted

Recorded in paris in 1964. All the players except the Dane, Orsted, were American expatriates living and playing in Europe.

The playing is exceptionally enjoyable. Only four tracks, so the soloist can really stretch out and take the time to state their case. All the music is mid-tempo and very lyrical. The Frogman would have a field day breaking down these solos.

Makes me wonder that maybe a lot of other Recorded Jazz was too much, crammed into too little time and space.

The liner notes were written by Leonard Feather. His style is what I would call Frogmanesque. Sort of technical, but very interesting.

There are a few statements in the liner notes that irritated me. The players say that European audiences had a very special insight into Jazz. After all that goose stepping, I find that hard to believe. And that the place was "almost completely free or racial prejudeice". I guess they had not heard of World War Two.

The cover photo is one of the most interesting in Jazz. Which is another thing we have lost, the Great Blue Note black & white photos. Just as audiophiles have lost the great cartoons of Rodriquez.

All in All, a very good session. Highly Recommended.

Cheers
Rok, no question Brazilian singers are uniquely wonderful; in no small part because women Brazil are uniquely wonderful. There is something about the sound and rhythm of the language (in Brazil, not so much in Portugal) that does it for me. I could get carried away with that one, but I should stop; my wife reads these threads once in a long while :-)

You mentioned Sergio Mendes. This is one of my very favorite records. Cannonball with the Bossa Rio Sextet (Sergio Mendes on piano). The session is all about Cannonball; he sounds incredible on those Brazilian tunes:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMjF4UMYYc

As far as Brazilian female singers go, Elis will always be my favorite. There is something about her that I have never been able to put my finger on. Not a particularly great voice, a little out of tune sometimes; but, soulful as hell with a great sexy feeling in the way she sings. Check out the "break" at 1:10. Amazing!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbKHHqtsJE