Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Yeah, it's a title disappointing in that regard. As good and authentic (duh!) as the rhythm section sounds playing that style, there is a little bit of a "on automatic pilot" feeling. But, Cannonball plays his ass off on those beautiful melodies, and being a saxophone geek, I love that record.
Not Jazz, but you gotta dig that trumpet playing. Great song also. CD sounds better, but you will get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUb5AR7W8M

the entire Cd is killer.

Cheers
Thanks O-10. Happy Father's Day to All!!

Every Sunday here, is Big Band Sunday, on the local PBS FM station. Here is an example of the stuff they play. All day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAinKGJZ8YE

I love this stuff. Try and youtube 'I don't want to set the World on fire'. Great stuff! And check out all the links that show up the side. Esp Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers.

Cheers
That Ink Spots cut was amazing! Talk about skill; simply beautiful singing. Oh yeah, and then there's all the "little" things that seem to elude a lot of singers today like sheer entertainment factor, lack of pretense, connection with an audience. Nothing "edgy" about a performance like that, but so much sincerity in the song's simplicity. Thanks.