Spectrum analyzer?

Can someone suggest some options for acquiring some form of real time frequency analysis to help with speaker/room interactions?

I don't know if it makes sense to buy or rent hardware, go the laptop/software route, etc.

Thanks in advance.
madfloyd
1/10 octave or better can be achieved by both TrueRTA and by REW.

The reason that RTA is not useful is that it has little memory while the major room influence is in the delayed reflections and their interactions. For that, you need to see "waterfall" plots or similar that show how the sounds at different frequencies decay in the room. Generally, one wants uniform decay of all frequencies.

For more info, I recommend Toole's new book "Sound Reproduction - Loudspeakers and Rooms." I am about half way through it now.

Kal
Post removed 
If your equalization requirement at some frequency is a "cut" rather than a "boost" the "feedback destroyer" function of the DEQ2496 can do 1/10 octave resolution.

Actually the DEQ2496 can simultaneously implement several sharp (1/10 octave) notches, several broad (multi-octave parametric equalizer) curves, and the 1/3 octave (31 band) graphic equalizer. It does not chew gum.
Kr4...The Behringer DEQ2496 autoequalization process gives the user a choice of FAST, MID, and SLOW response. Doesn't this answer your point about delayed reflections?

I use the FAST so as to quickly find the appropriate curve, and then switch to SLOW for the final tweak.
I have no experience with the Behringer. Does it show you a time-decay response?

Kal