best small room 2 channel set up for under $2ooo

I want a good sounding system that would work in a 10 by 11 room with speakers that would fit on a book shelve. I know really small speakers are limited in some areas but what would be a good book shelve system for under$2000 that would work in a small bed room. Thanks
broseanrichard
I just put together a small system for my (super senior) father's room for about $1300: Music Hall Trio($700 used), 60WPC all in-in-one unit; Triangle Stellas, front ported, 91db sensitive ($329 new, a close out); Kef PSW 10002 sub ($150 new, a close out) and a set of Speltz speaker cables. Even given the stock cord on the Trio...sounds way better than any of my more expensive systems from college...of course, that was a long time ago. Good luck.

I highly recommend looking at Peachtree Audio Decco integrated hybrid amp with built in DAC. It's only $799 in black (musicdirect.com). It sounds top notch and DAC is excellent. Just get a cheap CD/DVD transport and you are set with amp and source.

You can find plenty of good monitors ~$1000 and stands ~$200 assuming you don't really plan on putting speakers in a bookshelf because that will be a grave mistake. You just need to figure out what you need: front ported, back ported or sealed depending on where you plan on placing them then go from there and audition. I was especially impressed with Audio Physic Yara but settled for B&W CM-1 for WAF.
I'm looking to do this same thing in a few months. This is what I came up with.

Shanling MC3- basically an integrated with a tuner and cd built in-$700.00 (numerous sources are selling these for this price)

I'm considering a used Dynaco or Dared tube amp. I've seen these in the $500.00- $700 range

Fritzspeakers with 6" fostex driver -around $400 or so from his website or here on a'gon.

a couple hundred for cables.

I first need to sell my Carver gear and my old Marantz 2226 reciever though. I also need to do more research on tubes considering I know very little about them.Any advice on the proposed above rig is also appreciated.
I have to chime in and recommend Mackie monitors for the third time.
I'd go with the Mackie HR624MkII with the thought that the HR824MKII would overpower your smallish room.
I have the HR624MKII as desktop speakers in my office and have lived quite happily with them for the last four months.
Can be bought at a local Guitar Center with 30-day, no question money back guarantee.
Nothing to lose, everything to gain.