Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Am I the only person who finds it difficult to appreciate "solo" piano; where's the bass, where's the saxophone, where's the something besides a lone piano. No reflection on the music or the artist, but a personal observation of my perception of music; I need a combination of instruments.

While it's been nice to hear Kaper's music played on solo piano by Kaper, this listener requires a band in order for the music to project a wide range of emotions, and get me involved.

Enjoy the music.

Isochronism, your recommendation "Angel Eyes" by Jimmy Smith is a real winner. Like good wine, he's improved with age. His ability to plumb the musical depths of these standards, plus the very skillful use of excellent sidemen, made up for the lack of "fireworks" I've always associated with "Jimmy Smith".

While the names of some of the sidemen were new to me, I'll look for them in the future.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, I like the Prasant. First thing I hear is the good tone. They are playing in a different dialect of the Jazz language. I will have to listen some more.

Regarding pianist, I like to hear them in both settings. The group interaction is always of interest to me. Not just their solo's, but what do they add to the others. I also am interested in how they play when they have to carry everything on their own. Different ways of listening and playing.

One Saxophonist I followed and lost track of, is Craig Handy. I will have to see what he is doing today. Saw him with Herbie around this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKlFv0mhi3s

Leersfool, this version of "On Green Dolphin Street" has to be my favorite. Bill Evans "intro" on piano is what sets this version off from so many others, and of course Miles and Cannonball are really beautiful as well; but it's still Bill Evans piano that takes it away.

It's amazing how just one song can take you down so many very interesting paths; from Bronislaw Kaper, to Miles Davis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrVnm66joQk

Enjoy the music.
Recent Arrival:

Freddie Hubbard & Jimmy heath
JAM GEMS - "LIVE" AT THE LEFT BANK

Great Live recording. You know the audience is there, but it adds to the peformance. The sound is, as if you are sitting in the crowd. Might not be to 'audiophile' taste. Jazz lovers should love it. I think it was recorded by a Jazz Society in Baltimore.

Excellent liner notes, that even address why some folks just can't let go of the OLD stuff. Includes me.

Doc Pomus is quoted, explaining the difference between a studio record and a "LIVE" performance from the musicians perspective.. Very interesting.

The playing is just awesome. The tune 'Bluesville' almost approaches 'Hog Calling Blues'. Not quite, but that type of tune. You could say, 'they turned the joint out.' It was a true Jam Session, as the title states.

The rhythm section is not known to me, but they hung with the horns. All the tunes are long. 'Autumn Leaves' goes 17 minutes. Check it out.

Highly Recommended.

Cheers