What is your favorite material for loudspeakers?

So what is your preferred choice for loudspeaker cabinet materials and finish? Veneers, Laminates,Metals, Carbon, Solid hard woods, Partical board, birch plywood. Plastic coats,Plastic,Aluminum, Paint,Lacquers, French polish, Oil? So pick your cab material, veneer or other, finish choice what even you like? For me birch plywood with veneer and french polish. Whats your choice?
128x128johnk
Johnk,

Your thread has got me thinking about the possibility of building the ProAc 2.5 clones using Baltic Birch plywood instead of MDF with veneer.

I know this would alter the sound of the speakers from their original intent. What are your thoughts on the sonic influence of this wood for box construction?

Thanks,
Dean
MDF stores energy releases as slight delay adding coloration to sound if fully braced you can work with it. But baltic birch plywood doesn't store releases energy so the coloration's of birch plywood are pleasant the coloration's of MDF tend to be narrow in frequency and can add a unpleasant delayed coloration. So a doubled 3/4in Baltic cab for your proac would be a improvement in sound quality. The French polish penetrates veneer so resonates more even in frequency and at a greatly reduced level.
Not sure its is my favorite, but my VA PO's in the Big Leaf Quilted Maple are stunning! The fit and finish is on par with the very best I have seen.

Sonus Faber does some nice work too..

John
Sonus is an interesting case. . . rather than constructing speakers with plywood, they layer selected veneers in place with crossing grains into a custom ply pre-molded to the shape of the speaker. I understand that the top models use over 20 layers of veneer.