Good speakers for a low budget

Hi, I am helping a friend find speakers for around $600. Aesthetics are a high priority. Thank you.
imaginarynumbers
I'm not sure the lady has a clue either...and exactly how do you clean up a hippy?
Cleaneduphippy makes some very good points, and it's frustrating how many people look for advice here without giving a clue as to what they're looking for or what they already have. As a general rule I don't respond to posts that aren't more specific, but in this case since someone else is doing the research it seemed obvious she isn't an audiophile so I felt OK making suggestions that meet the requirements as stated. I would bet she'd be thrilled with the majority of recommendations made here, and at the very least we can all feel a little better knowing she won't end up with something from Bose.

Condolences on the cleaned up thing.
I prefer to know more before recommending usually, but there are certain models in this price range that a layperson can surely build a nice system around and I have no problem pointing someone to these and then letting them decide. It beats the alternative of picking randomly based on whim because there is also a lot of junk out there for this price.
Gotta try Milton C. Mueller SB-2 with Ribbon tweeters--for $300 a pair you can afford a sub. If you don't like them you can send them back but they are unbelievably good. Also, on the used market you can try Apogee Centaur Major or Minor $500-600 major, 300-400 minor. Major is recommended as it has more bass but the ribbon driver is the same on both and very transparent and airy.