Wilson's new speaker the Sasha is coming.

THere is a teaser on their website. Looks beautiful if you can make out the images. I think it is a step up from the WP generation. Maybe a replacement.
dgad
http://www.wilsonaudio.com/sasha/science.html

As usual, Wilson reinventing physics. According to him, 6061-T6 Aircraft Grade aluminum is actually less “rigid” then MDF or epoxy. I propose the word Aircraft Grade should be applied to MDF now… All these spectral-decay plots are showing is simply levels of material damping. In other words, “how well they store or dissipate energy”. These plots show clearly that the ‘X” material is indeed highly damped (Stores energy very well). So, as he suggested, why not rubber? It will store energy even better and have no measurable resonant at all. Damping, without stiffness is bad for bass performance. The young modulus (Stiffness) of any epoxy resins type material is many folds lower than Aluminum or even plywood. That is why you do not see airplane wings build from epoxy. I am amazed at the willingness of these companies to expose their complete ignorance. Even worse, a total dismissal to the intelligence of their clients (Which unfortunately, they can get away with).
Mariv,

I read the article. It didn't read as such. It indicated less resonant. There are great Aluminum speaker there. Not sure if you are a Magico or YG fan or what since this is your 1st post. And to be honest, then why aren't violins or pianos made out of Aluminum?
In reference to Mariv26 -- X material is a phenolic composite (not the same as an epoxy resin). X material is indeed extraordinarily rigid and very hard -- much stiffer and harder than aluminum. The waterfall graphs are but one type of scientific research Wilson does on materials -- but these graphs (despite your assertion) are very revealing of certain aspects of a material's acoustical performance. Wilson correlates these tests with blind-test listening comparisons. Certainly for Wilson, this test alone would indeed eliminate aluminum as a serious contender for speaker enclosures. But there are several other tests that reveal that aluminum is not a particularly good material for speaker enclosures. At least if the goal is to build enclosures that have the least sonic contribution to music. And the answer to the straw-man rhetorical question "why do you not see airplanes built from epoxy?" Again, X is not epoxy, but the simple and obvious answer is mass (weight). X is much, much more massive than aluminum and therefore would be unsuitable for the construction of airplanes -- where low mass is critical.

Disclosure -- I am an employee of Wilson Audio
I remember hearing the WP8 at a major audio show in 2006. The speakers were driven by ARC amplification. Stunning sound. Every reviewer was fawning over them. The "Holy Grail".

The new Wilson speakers will undoubtedly result in some excellent buys on used WP8 speakers.

Great time to buy.
Dgad,

"Not sure if you are a Magico or YG fan"

I am neither. In fact I never heard them, but after reading Wilson spin, maybe I should. I was interested in a new loudspeakers, and having heard and liked the Sophia, I thought I will do some more investigating to Wilson other offering. I must say, as an engineer (Mechanical), I was mortified by some of the nonsense I read on Wilson web site. Regardless of how good the sound is, I can see now from where the high-end gets its “bad rap”. BTW, the functionality of a loudspeaker enclosure is completely opposite to a musical instrument one. A musical instrument enclosures role is to vibrate and amplify sound a loudspeaker enclosure need to do the as “quiet“ (but rigid) as possible.