Can you get "bookshelf sound" from a floorstander?

Listened to B&W's 6 series and much prefered the 686 and 685 to the more expensive floorstanders. I'm a junkie for clear and coherent vocals and the floorstanders seemed to muddy the sound.
Listened to Dynaudio Focus 110s and loved them. Compared them to the Contour 5.4s and I loved the top end of them even more than the Focus' but was again bothered by what I want to call an incoherence... lack of focus... integration... with the low end.

Owned Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher monitors with Dreamcatcher sub and prefered the dreamcatcher monitors over the Arros and without the sub, too.

Am I just a bookshelf guy? Was it my choice of floorstanders? Setup? Anyone have better words to describe what I'm trying to say? I certainly love the low end and dynamic grunt of the big ones but not at such expense.
128x128eyediver
Bobby: Aren't your speakers using the same drivers -- or drivers that are extremely similar -- to the ones I had in the late 1990s? If not, how are they different? And aren't the cabinets pretty much identical? If not, how are they different?

Also, when I purchased a pair of VSM SE's from one of your dealers, you both knew what preamp and amp (ARC -- hardly garbage) I was using and didn't bother to tell me that it wouldn't sound good. I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "mean spirited comments." It certainly isn't me, and none of this is personal.
9rw, you jump in with both feet and say a bunch of nonsense pertaining to a situation you had with a 4th geneation discontinued product (from 10 years ago) and make it appear like it still has bearing today. this is both dishonest and confusing to those who read this forum.
then when i try to tell marty in an understated manner what the history is, you start to lose your cool and said mean spirited things. the one person who could have explained the difference bewteen the se and the mxe (marty) you blew off like a pompous know it all. well, 9rw, you are not the only musician who comes here, you are not the only one who has heard 100s of systems, read tecnical journals or even worked in recording venues. some of us even have a very significant technical understanding of this sound thing. we just use these experiences and knowledge differently than you appear to. sound is not a contact sport, it is about the joy of music and the effects on your heart and soul.
lets just say we agree to disagee and leave it at that because you are so closed minded you won't even allow yourself to see another way or learn something. one concept does not fit all.
i can hear you rationizing how different can the sound be with so many things looking so similar? the proof is in the listening and then, with first hand knowledge you can say your peace.
to many, the arc pres are known to have a recessive mid band. think about their reference speaker of years gone by. in a situation where the speaker is as linear as the vsm is, this would tend to stratify the treble and bass as your friend found. you called it garbadge, not i.
and your room may be damped pefectly for your vrs and sub but it is way over done for the merlins. i have been through this with you before, have you forgotten?
best, b
Bobby: You're incredibly defensive for having done this for such a long time. I would think you would have developed a bit thicker skin. Besides, I'm certainly not being mean spirited, and you're certainly not answering my questions about the drivers and the cabinet. So it must be a new crossover that has dramatically changed the sound of your speakers, right? While you are convinced that the sound of the latest generation -- how many iterations is it again, I've lost count? -- is a night and day improvement, many trained ears probably wouldn't hear much if any difference.

I've been out of the house where the Dunlavy SC-IV/A stomped the VSM SE for many years. The Von Schweikerts have sounded fantastic in two houses, as did the Dunlavys.

If you reread my posts, you'll see that I have not made this personal. I just think your product costs too much for what it delivers, plus it takes at least $20,000 to $30,000 in associated gear to sound "right." These days, that's difficult for some people to justify.

By the way, is the recessed midrange of the ARC preamps something that you have measured? I'd like to see those measurements. You didn't like the ARC VT100MKII amp, either. And I guess the Rowland Models 2 and 10 and the ARC 100.2 were at fault, too.
9rw, i am not incredibly defensive just fair minded. i responded to your post in a very understated open minded manner as a gentleman would. you on the other hand lost your cool and became more pointed as time went on.
why waste time and effort answering questions when it is obvious from what you implied that because the drivers and cabinets seem silimlar that there could not be much change in sound. you implied it at first but then came right out and said it in the post above. to many it is a night and day improvement but they have smaller rooms and make assessments based on their qulaitative issues and not quantity due to a larger room needs. what these people are looking for is something that is different than you based on smaller room requirements. the vsm is not designed to fill a football field and you should not get upset with it because it doesn't. maybe that is what is wrong. you are upset because you purchased the the wrong product for your taste. if bigger speakers with more drivers make you happy, so be it. i am happy for you. you seem to want a larger speaker with more room filling qualities, even a sub. many do not. that does not make you right or wrong or them, right or wrong. each buys what they think is best suited to their needs.
there were all kinds of strings in the past discussing the possible improvements but as improved as they are they probably will not be your cup of tea.
i have people using very low powered amps, 20 or 30 watters that do not cost a lot and enjoying them immensely. i even did a stereophile show with a $4000, 30 watt amp and many thought it was one of the best sounding exibits there. so i do not agree. still though, the resolution and coherence potential in a smaller room will allow you to use an all out system and reap its benefits.
and as far as the arc preamp midrange, it may test right but it sounded recessive and that is what i speak of. it did not sound continuous from top to bottom. this is something you cannot measure but can surely hear. again think of their reference speaker and you will see it clearly. the amps were fine as i said before. i like the vt100 and still do.
why don't you drop it and have a nice memorial day weekend.
best, b
Bobby: I'll drop this when you do. First, my room wasn't big at all. It was about 13 by 20. Is that big? Also, I'm not losing my cool at all, but you seem to be. And you simply refuse to answer my questions about drivers, crossovers and cabinets. Is that because they're basically the same with some minor tweaks that you think are huge? Maybe that's not the case, but you won't answer my question so no one will ever know.

As for preferences, I love the Totem Arro. Is that a huge speaker with lots of drivers? Is the Dunlavy SC-II? Hardly. And I'm certainly not trying to fill a football field with sound. That's just an attempt to misrepresent what I've said. I listen almost exclusively to acoustic music and value neutrality, refinement and coherency.

Enjoy your weekend.