Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus Lives!!!

Welcome back. I guess I can tell the boys down in Narlins to cancel the parade!

Speedy recovery. When I had my wisdom teeth out, they gave me some Goooood stuff. Made me wanna do it again!

Cheers

Today I'm listening to "Dave Pike", Pike's Peak; he's a vibraphonist. Presently I'm enjoying "In a Sentimental Mood". Dave likes to "scat" while he's jammin. Some people find that distracting, but I like it; "Ooh shooby doo bop swello", I can't scat like Dave or Ella, but I have fun.

Each note from Dave's vibes hangs in the air ringing in my ear; now, "give the drummer some", his name is Walter Perkins. Sorry, I never heard of a Walter Perkins, but he can jam. Right now he's doing his thing on "Vierd Blues" by M. Davis. Him and Herbie Lewis on bass are "rompin and stompin". (never heard of a Herbie Lewis either) These cats can jam, that just shows you how many top notch jazz musicians this aficionado has never heard of.

Recuperating from surgery ain't all bad, I'm forced to do what I love to do and nobody can nag me about what I should be doing. Did I tell you about the feel good pills they gave me? "Nope, not for another 4 hours".

"Besame Mucho", that means "Kiss me much", was written by Mexican songwriter Consuelo Velazquez, who wrote this before she had ever been kissed, and I fell in love with this song before I ever did any kissing. Me and her got a lot in common. Miles Davis was kissin on Velma Brooks at his birthday party, when his big sister told on him. "As long as he ain't kissin on Junior Quinn" was his father's response. That's the kind of kissing this song is about, and if you stop and think; that's even more romantic than adult kissing. (Frogman and Leersfool created a monster, when they started this "aficionado" going deep into the music)

Herbie Lewis's boss bass intro on this tune, followed by Dave's "vibrasonic" vibes, get into the soul of this music like I've never heard it before; and now Bill Evans melodic piano responds to the rhythm. Bill sounds like he was born playing jazz piano.

Although I've had this CD in my collection for over 15 years, I just discovered Bill Evans was on it. There are several reasons for this; a sale was on at the record store, and I told the sales girl to select the best jazz CD's, and I would pick them up later; consequently I only know how good the music is, and I'm just discovering all of the musicians. When you hear Miles, Monk, or Trane, you know who you're listening to, but Bill is like a cameleon who takes on the color of the music he's playing, and he does it so well that all you can hear is the beautiful music emanating from the key's of his piano everytime he strikes one. I imagine Consuelo Velazquez is looking down from a cloud smiling, and enjoying listening to her music sounding exactly as she intended for it to souund

"Wild Is The Wind" is the last cut on this CD, and the music captures the romantic intensity of the lyrics as sung by Johnny Mathis or Randy Crawford. All of these musicians are so into each song they play, that I feel this is the first time I've heard each one of those old standards. Anytime musicians can make old music sound brand new, that's the highest compliment that I can give them. This is a must have CD in your collection.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I like those parades, can't we have a parade anyway, I can even join the second line; I always wanted to do that.