Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, I like those parades, can't we have a parade anyway, I can even join the second line; I always wanted to do that.
Leersfool, It's nice to know you're concerned, that will help my recuperation.

Enjoy the music.
From the July Issue of BBC MUSIC MAGAZINE:

Miles Davis- Live in Europe 1969, The bootleg series vol 2

Performance got 5 stars, the recording 4 stars. This is the last recording before Bitches Brew. Reviewer says it was a 'road test' for the bitches brew music.
Holland, shorter, dejohnette and corea on board.

Mixed reviews on amazon. Sound quality the main problem. But it does say 'bootleg'.

From the Orchestral Section:

Ellington - Black, Brown and Beige Suite, Harlem, three Black kings Ballet, the River, Take the A Train.
Performed by the Buffalo Philharmonic - Falletta.
$10 on Amazon with great reviews on Amazon and BBC.
4-star performance and 5-star recording. Naxos.
I think I'll give this one a try.

Excerpt:
Asked if his concert works were really 'Jazz', Ellington retorted,"I don't see how this thing called Jazz takes precedence over me." hahahahahha, messing with the wrong guy! He recognized two genres, good and bad.

Cheers
Rok, Frogman, Leersfool;

I had a setback, and things have gone terribly wrong. Just wanted to let you guys know why I havent been posting. I've got a lot of questions and no answers yet.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

I will keep you in my prayers. Posting will not be the same without you, so I'll wait until you are back.

Get well soon.

Roy