Where can one purchase lead shot for speakers?

Hi,

I'm putting together a new system and just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR4jrs. They will arrive in about a week so I am trying to prepare everything for their arrival. This is the first pair of speakers that I will own that take lead shot to improve their bass. I have no idea where to even start looking for a place to purchase the shot. Can anybody tell me where I might find some? I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and I'm really hoping to be able to buy it locally as opposed to having it shipped in since it would be very costly to do so.

Thanks,

Bill
thebclshow
Aloha Bill--I'm on Oahu. If you order have it shipped via Priority Mail Flat Rate. You can ship up to 70 lbs. for $13.95 if you can get it in the Flat Rate box, that is no problem with shot. My mailman has somebody here on the his route that has shot shipped. The box has 65 lbs of shot in it, all for $13.95. You can ship VIP Bricks the same way. Last month somebody here on Gon wanted $40 to ship a couple of VIP Bricks. You can probably ship 12 VIP Bricks in the Flat Rate box all for $13.95. Buy the way the Post Office does have smaller Flat Rate Boxs. A good way to ship cables with 3 or 4 days service.
Why don 't you use steel shot. It has a density of 7.85 g/cc . Lead has
a density of 11.35g/cc. Roughly a 30% increase in weight. with lead.
100% more safe with steel shot, no disposal problems, no health risks. You could also pack with pennies although they won't pack as well. Copper has a density if 8.96 c/cc. BTW.
Break out those jars of pennies.
Joe
Disposal problems? Health risks? Do any of you eat hormone laden meat, use armor all in your car, teflon covered pans or scotch guarded carpeting? All of which are as toxic as lead IMO- GOOGLE THEM!
I'd use the lead shot with a mask and keep it for your next project if you decide to sell the speakers. Lead shot is not just used for it's mass, but also for it's vibration characteristics and shape-non ringing as it tends to absorb vibrations, turning them into heat. Otherwise use sand or both. My $.02...
Joe, Steel shot will rattle. Pennies will shake like all hell. The idea of lead is because it is heavy and soft. The best alternative is gold pellets if you want to use money...softer than pennies and won't rattle.
I agree with nice black volcanic sand on Hawaii.
A bit off topic- Nordost packaging usually states "LEAD FREE - Save our environment".