Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, while we're waiting for Frogman to expound on "studio players" or "pit musicians", as I referred to them; I'll explain how I have pristine sound in every room that I want it, generated from the play list on my computer.

I don't remember what sound cards I use, but I'm sure you've already taken care of that. let's begin with computer out to HRT Music Streamer II to Intelix Audio Balun, Max distance 2,500 ft, out to Cat 6 cable the distance of the house. This is fed to a balun at the receiving end, and interconnect to preamp. The "baluns" are available from "Parts Express", $55., and Cat 6 can be purchased cheaply in your desired length. 2 ft. of your favorite interconnect completes this pristine signal to the pre, and it's as good as a signal 2 ft. from the pre.

Enjoy the music.
Hi Orpheus - studio musicians and pit musicians would have pretty much a completely opposite existence, musically speaking - they are not at all the same. A top Broadway pit musician, for example, will typically play the same show 8 times a week for sometimes years - over, and over, and over, and over again. A top LA film studio musician will never play the same thing twice. If the music is very easy, sometimes they will turn the recording light on right away before there is even any rehearsal. On a usual session, they would probably read through most of the music just once, and then start recording it. If the music is truly difficult, they may have a couple of readings, and some actual rehearsal, before recording it. But basically, they are incredible sight readers. I just wanted to clarify that there is a huge difference between the two types of work - opposite extremes, in fact. A symphonic musician, like myself, is something in-between. The amount of rehearsals we have depends on the type of program we are playing. For a symphonic concert, there would be typically four or five rehearsals during the week, and three performances on the weekend. For a pops show, there would typically be only one rehearsal, the same day as the first performance of the weekend. An opera orchestra will have several rehearsals before the production opens - the first few just the orchestra alone, then a few with the singers, but not in the pit, then a couple of dress rehearsals.

I will let Frogman answer your questions about the woodwind doublers you see in the pits of theaters.

All good things must come to an end, and so it is with this thread. Without the Rok's input it's dead. I've had fun and I thank every one for their input.

Enjoy the music.
DEAD?? As the world's foremost authority on Jazz, I find that very distressing.

And just what am I supposed to do with all my, as yet to be posted, 'reviews'?

My public, demands to hear my take on Ray Bryant's "Potpourri" and Freddie Hubbard's "Ready For Freddie" and hundreds of others.

I cannot be responsible for the backlash / outrage, if you silence my voice. Please reconsider.

Cheers