Primaluna - Rolling pre tubes question...

I'm new to rolling tubes, and have been using the stock 12AU7.
I've a PL Prologue premium integrated with 2 12AU7's per channel. I want to test a new pair(before investing in more), so wondering if front or rear position would best reveal the new tubes character?

Thanks,
Darren
128x128dmhenley
One week with the Cifte 12AU7s in the front position, and PL stock tubes in the rear. I'm assuming they may still be settling in...probably 40 hours or so on them.
I'm hearing clarity across all frequencies - not harsh - more like we've turned the light up in the room and the back corners are illuminated. Really nice.

With some recordings, a lack of humidity is revealed...perhaps a bit papery at times.

Would a Mullard or other similar type in the rear position balance the sound? Mechans -You mentioned the British tubes?

Take for instance, a well recorded drum kit...I want all that air and resonance, and maybe a touch of fuzz on the kick drum...More tennis ball than rubber ball.

I'm missing the luscious mids and upper bass.
Yes there are classically warm British tubes like the Mullard ECC82, the Philips Miniwatt, Mazda,and even Valvo (which is as likely to be German so be careful, etch code is your ally) and the Mullard Mil Spec 4003.Another British tube that glides under the radar that is the more neutral sub made by Brimar the 13D5. I am sure you can find Mullards to try., but if you didn't like the reissue Gold Lions not sure you would like these either. Did you try the small Gold Lions? I forget but does the treasure series include some of the pre amp tubes?
Hi - I have a Dialogue 2, and I had a 12au7 go out on me, so I bought a new pair, and they were not as good as the stock tubes were - the stock au7s in the PrimaLuna amps are pretty good. Next time, I will be buying them, as they were also less expensive than the ones I did try. I have not done a ton of tube rolling, but like many others here, I prefer the sound of EL34s to the KT88s in the Dialogue 2.
Learsfool, I had the same experience, after rolling all of the tubes in my monoblocks; I quickly put the 12au7's back in.
Dmhenley ;
I am sorry the Cifte's didn't work out for you .
If the price doesn't scare you... try some 7316's in the input section . Far & away the best that I have tried to date .
For less money you could try Amperex made by BEL in India which would give a good taste of the 7316's . Both of these offer a warm tone . The BEL's may be around the same price as the Cifte's .
Amperex 12AU7 D getter long plates were not to my liking in this position . I have not tried Mullards with this amp but did use them in my previous amp , a Prologue II which used 12AX7's for inputs .
I tried Amperex Valvo's for drivers and they didn't work out either . The Valvo's tended to take away what the 7316's brought in , as did others that I tried as drivers .
I have not been able to find other tubes for the driver section that don't detract from the various input offerings .

Learsfool & Orpheus10 ;
I have been thinking along those same lines concerning the PL 12AU7's , they seem to be rather neutral also . They allowed me to here a large difference between the KT-120's and the 6CA7's when used as inputs . The difference was less prevalent with other tubes rolled into the input section . So far they are the best drivers that I have tried , allowing me to hear all of the different tubes that I have rolled .