Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Bringing Bobby McFerrin into the conversation is like opening up an entire new genre. He does not fit in any box.

I have him with Yo-Yo Ma on the CD "Hush". Every track is unique.

He does "Spain" with Corea and "Another Night In Tunisa" with the Manhattan Tranfer. Both are exceptional.

That's one of the best things about mentioning any artist, it allows / reminds us to see what they have done lately. There is a lot more to McFerrin than "don't worry be happy"

In many ways he reminds me of Roland Kirk and Nina Simone. Kirk, because he is so uniquely compelling and Nina because, like her, he says so much, and says it with minimal accompaniment.

After visiting Amazon, I put a few of his in my cart.

Cheers

I've been following Bobby every since I discovered he was an accomplished musician who uses his instrument, the same as any horn player; his instrument, which is his voice, is even more versatile than a horn. The soundtrack from the movie "Round Midnight" is another good display of Bobby McFerrins versatility.

Enjoy the music.
Bobby McFerrin is also well known as a huge supporter of his fellow musicians of all stripes. A very good guy as well as good musician.
Been a big fan of Bobby's for decades! 2010's 'VOCAbularieS' is one of the greatest achievements in vocals-only music I've ever heard. Somehow, it feels like something so beyond acapella that I hesitate to call it that. Coincidentally, this weekend I picked up his latest; 'spirityouall' from my local library so I'm looking forward to giving it a listen later on during this wet Labor Day in Fl. on the main rig! Because don'tchaknow Bobby's music is always impeccably recorded and an audio treat!