Upgrade from Spendor SP 1/2, what's next?

I currently have a pair of original SP 1/2's and am upgrading from a Cayin TA-30 to a Cayin a88t to drive them. Listen mostly to classical and jazz vocals and love the sweet mellow warm sound. I'm considering trying a new speaker and was thinking of going to a floor stander. What Spendor floor standing speaker (or other maker) would you recommend? The room is 20' x 14' with 10' ceiling, wood floors, minimal furniture.
mikewdc
Thanks for the responses so far. I would peg budget at no more that $5k and I'm a big believer in buying used (which is the best part of audiophile disease--let someone else take the first hit on the depreciation, hehe).

Like I said, I do love the Spendors so it's gonna take something spectacular to impress me. The Spendors were rather difficult to place in the room, however. I think the 9/1s might be too big.
I'm still not quite sure what you're looking to improve in terms of sound quality.

Also, what was difficult about placement? The SP1/2 has fairly tight dispersion characteristics and is less sensitive to side wall asymmetry than many other speakers when one is in the sweet spot. If a room is difficult for Spendors, it is likely going to be problematic for many other speakers, though the anomalies may be different in character.

I think the answers you receive will improve if people have a better of idea of the improvement you're seeking.
You love the speakers, & you're using a moderate power tube amp (I think--I'm not that familiar w/Cayin's), in a fairly large room.

Merlins. Merlins love tubes. The VSM's, or maybe the TSM's would work for you. I haven't heard SP 1/2's, so can't compare.....
I think maybe Mlsstl has hit the nail on the head. That is, I'm not sure what I'm after because the speakers I have are the only ones I've spent a lot of time listening to. None of my friends have systems to speak of. I guess what I'm hoping is that the suggestions I get here will help me decide where to begin so I can narrow the auditioning down to a reasonable number.

In terms of placing the Spendors, I had to move them to the long wall. There is no effectively no side wall interference. They are nearly 3 feet from the back wall. I like what the Spendors provide in terms of mellow midrange, but I could go for a bigger sound--a wider soundstage, I think. Sometimes, too much of the sound is still trapped in the speaker.
I think. Sometimes, too much of the sound is still trapped in the speaker.
I think we're getting somewhere now, though that brings up an issue none of us can do much about - the quality of recordings.

Far too many recordings, even in the jazz and classical world, tend to be both very closely miked and multi-miked. What we hear is the results of music that is miked in a fashion that we do not hear live. Even if you sit in the middle of a live orchestra, you are close to some instruments, further from others, and you'll never get the multi-miked mixing console version at a live acoustic concert.

I find the Spendors very good about showing me what is on a recording and often, while quite engaging, it isn't very close to what one would hear live.

You might want to audition a speaker with broader dispersion to get a "bigger" sound. However, it is going to be critical that you audition them in your home since such speakers necessarily involve the room reflections to create their effect. What works wonderfully in one room may be a disaster in another.

However, I suspect that you may find you address one problem only to find that you lose some of that midrange magic that you enjoy so much now.

Good luck in your search!