Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Bobby McFerrin is also well known as a huge supporter of his fellow musicians of all stripes. A very good guy as well as good musician.
Been a big fan of Bobby's for decades! 2010's 'VOCAbularieS' is one of the greatest achievements in vocals-only music I've ever heard. Somehow, it feels like something so beyond acapella that I hesitate to call it that. Coincidentally, this weekend I picked up his latest; 'spirityouall' from my local library so I'm looking forward to giving it a listen later on during this wet Labor Day in Fl. on the main rig! Because don'tchaknow Bobby's music is always impeccably recorded and an audio treat!

I was listening to June Christy "Something Cool", and it hit me just how sad that song was; but before you can realize this, you must first picture the setting. It was at a time when people didn't have A/C at home, and the only places to cool off were at a lounge, or movie theater.

This attractive young lady just casually left home to pop into a lounge and cool off. She sat next to a young man who bought her a drink, as was the custom then; that's when she began running down her life story in order to impress him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8EtaxGJP0

Something Cool Lyrics

Something cool,
Something cool,
Something cool,
I'd like to order something cool!

Something cool, (something cool)
I'd like to order something cool, (something cool)
It's so warm here in town,
And the heat gets me down,
Yes, I'd like something cool! (something cool)

My! It's nice to simply sit and rest awhile,
Now I know it's a shame,
I can't think of your name,
I remember your smile!

I don't ordinarily drink with strangers,
I most usually drink alone.
You were so awfully nice to me,
And I'm so terribly far from home.

Like my dress? I must confess it's terribly old,
But it's simple and neat,
It's just right for the heat,
Save my furs for the cold!

A cigarette? Well I don't smoke them as a rule,
but I'll have one,
It might be fun
With something cool!

I'll bet you couldn't imagine
That I one time had a house
With so many rooms I couldn't count them all!
I'll bet you couldn't imagine
I had fifteen different beaus
Who would beg and beg to take me to a ball.

I'll bet you couldn't picture me
The time I went to Paris in the Fall,
And who would think the man I loved was quite so handsome,
Quite so tall?

Well it's true, (something cool)
It's just a memory I have, (something cool)
One I almost forgot
'Cause the weather's so hot!
And I'm feeling so bad (something cool)
About a date,
Oh wait!
I'm such a fool!
He's just a guy
Who's stopped to buy
Me something cool!

It's really a beautiful song until it get's to the end, that's when you realize how sad it is.

Next is another lady I like late at night, "Chris Conners". Her version's of "All About Ronnie" is my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13T2SiP6qRA

Enjoy the music.

I enjoyed reading the lyrics more than I did hearing June Christy sing them. She is a good singer, but the music and her voice had no dynamic range. Didn't reach out and get my attention.

Chris Conners? Sometimes 'Cool' Jazz can be a little too 'cool'. There has to be a little fire and heat. Billie excelled at that.

Cheers
Chazro, thanks for the Bobby Mcferrin recommendation. I will look it up.

I like June Christy. She usually has a smoking band, and her coolness works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYrgEi12EvY

And then there are the ballads. Definitly not Billie, but who is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13T2SiP6qRA