Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Zoot Coltrane! I'm still laughing! Jutta Hipp is a name I remember, and I don't know where from. Between Horace Silver and Bobby Timmons, there's no way I would make a choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuM75h_vRC0

This is what I found on "you tube", but I still don't know where I remember the name from. Back in the day, we would go from one pad to the next, spinning albums, consequently I've heard many albums I can't remember.

Enjoy the music.
If I may, a slight change of pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3QZIM7dNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPwwaoShG-A

Cheers

I enjoyed half of your change, the first half; that's Aretha's song. I really liked the way they dressed. Too many people look like "bums" wherever you go now. This is just the kind of change I was thinking about, but a little more in the jazz vein. Do you remember Eddie Jefferson, and King Pleasure, I was thinking about them.

Enjoy the music.
Today's Listen:

Miles Davis -- KIND OF BLUE

Davis(trumpet),Cannonball(alto sax), Coltrane(tenor sax), Wynton Kelly & Bill Evans (piano), Paul Chambers(bass), James Cobb(drums)

I assume everyone and their brother has this recording. It is considered one of the greatest if not the greatest Jazz recordings ever. I thought I would 'review' it and tell everyone WHY, it is, or is not, the greatest ever.

I listened to it several times. Each time I tried to write about it, the words seemed inadequate. I thought it was great without being to explain why I thought so.

I said, great tune selection, and not too many(5) or too few. Too many dilutes the playing, and too few leads to overblown very long solos.

I said the solos were complex but sounded simple and eloquent.
I said the soloist never played at the same time. In other words, no clutter and no filler.

I said someone(miles) was obviously in charge, otherwise Coltane's solos would be longer than the entire CD.

I said all the entire performance seemed to flow seamless. The tunes seemed connected by style and dynamic range.

The rhythm section was awesome. Essential support, but never in the way of the masters.

I think all this is true but does not make it the greatest ever. So I did some searching and found this review online:

*****In the documentary drummer Jimmy Cobb -- the only surviving participant -- stated that he didn't understand why KIND OF BLUE stands out above any of Miles' many other outstanding albums. Perhaps it is because the user-friendly music satisfies the listener at whatever level they prefer. If you want to get emotively involved with the music, it leads you there. If you're a musician looking to pick apart the music, you'll discover a level of sophistication attained by very few. If you want to relax, the music is soothing on its surface. If you want to hear memorable improvisations, Miles and his sidemen lead the way by avoiding the use of cliched phrases. If you want to hear teamwork, the musicians know how to create together (when to play and when NOT to play). If you want something timeless, the music's freshness has no expiration date. Yet if you have a nostalgic twinge for the cool, acoustic jazz of the 1950s, this album will take you back in time.******

I think this guy nailed it. But I want to hear what the AFICIONADOS that contribute to this thread think. I know you have it, so listen to it, and share your thoughts.

The greatest? Hmmmmmm, there's still 'Blues and the Abstract Truth' to consider. And others. I reserve comment for now. :)

Cheers