hardwood floor and speaker

hi
we're remodelling the house , putting in hardwood flooring on what use to be carpet. what should i do with the speaker spike, or amp stand ( spike )? wife is not crazy about sticking spike into the floor.

thanks
a1126lin
I purchased Sonus Faber stones for use under my speakers ... a large, thick and heavy faux stone block. speakers rest atop the stones on their spikes and it works GREAT

the stones are $$$ at $500/pr but do occassionally show up used
I use a 8x11 Persian rug on a pad and placed in the listening 'triangle'. The speakers are on the hardwood floor just off the carpet. It does damp floor reflections. Now if I could just put one of the ceiling. :-)

BTW folks, re using coins - this metal is soft and if you use pointed cones they can penetrate/dent the coins and you can still damage a floor if your speaker is heavy. Be careful!
I used to use spikes. I think cups under them have little impact. I think now, however, that StillPoints component stands greatly outperform them, but they are expensive. You might get by with just 3 individual StillPoints per speaker, but I have not tried that.
To couple, or not to couple. If of the 'not to couple' school purchase some half inch granite to put the spikes on. Of course they will need WAF. Granite goes for about $40 per sq. foot these days.