Room correcting subwoofer for music?

Is it worth buying a sub with room correction such as velodyne dd or can you make a non room correcting such a mj acoustics or others sound and blend well? Thanks, Scott
52tiger
One quick correction:

I said that the low pass function on the SMS-1 isn't my cup of tea. The low pass (or highcut) for the woofer is actually great. It's the low cut for the mains that doesn't sound great to me (it's also kinda bare-bones with no adjustability).

Marty
My budget is no more than 700 so I am going to just buy larger floor stNding speakers, thanks
In retrospect, I guess Toetapfactor is right.

You asked about the difference between room corrected vs non-room corrected subs for a music and (after mentioning budget issues as a "heads up"), I foolishly outlined a way to directly compare the 2 approaches in your home with a choice of components all offered on a money back basis. What was I thinking?

Just forget all that "nonsense"...and go with REL or JL.

Just for the record, all the JLs feature their proprietary "ARO" DRC system. To my knowledge, REL doesn't offer any DRC type subwoofers. So, suggesting that you pick one or the other without further explanation doesn't really address your question about the differences between the approaches. Unless, of course, the implication is that they sound the same...which is very, very bad advice, indeed.

Good luck with the floorstanders.

Marty