Your definition of soundstage

I'm having difficulty describing the term soundstage lately. I've enjoyed owning and listening to a good number of high end speakers over the years (owning the lesser end)and am interested in soundstage depth comparisons.

Each speaker that I've heard places the band in a different space. This can be front row, mid hall, lively, laid back, deep, in your face, etc.

I love the presentation of Verity speakers. I also own a pair of Reynaud's that are more lively and a touch warmer. The stage is more immediate with the Reynauds and the Verity's (Fidelio Encore) are more set back and refined in a different way.

What are your opinions on where the music comes from? Please name brands and try to describe the presentations you prefer.
bjesien
I loved reading Jim's long post. I define soundstage as the sound field that's created when the system plays. Sometimes it's high, wide and deep, sometimes it's low, narrow and shallow. Seems to depends on system components, the recording, power cords and lots more.

I like to define it that way because it seems easy to differentiate it from image, which would include instrument definition, separation, detail and clarity. It's possible, for example, to have a wide and expansive soundstage and within it, instruments that can't be located precisely, or wander about.
Not only speakers and amps but also the source components can have a big effect on the soundstage as well, especially when we are talking about turntables. Even within a product line there can be big differences. One of the main reasons I chose Rega over other relatively inexpensive tables like Project and Music Hall is because the soundstage is so much larger and more lifelike.
This is very interesting to read and learn. I've had several systems and have enjoyed several really different stages. My old system had a very good stage that was more from speaker to front wall and the further I set that stage to be back of the speaker the more detail and dynamics I lost. I found myself to enjoy the laid back stage on certain things and not to enjoy it on others. I think I was trying to get more stage out of that system than something in it was capable of. If I just let it come forward to the speakers it was over all a much better listening experience. Prior to that equipment my system was much better at staging without losing detail but was just not what I wanted.

Now I have a new system and the stage is unlike anything I've heard before. There are several factors in my new systems ability to stage and one of them is the Critical Mass Systems platinum series racks. My system now has what I would describe as a stage without boundary. Meaning my walls have nothing to do with the ends of my stage and that can be said front, right, and left. My speakers are only maybe 3 feet off the front wall and 9 feet apart. My stage is more detailed than ever, and also can extend up to I would say 20 feet wide on some music. The layers of depth in the band start at the front wall and extend back from that. It never gets up to the speaker. In the past with this stage or anything close to it that I've heard it lacks the impact and dynamic detail but this system lacks none of that and I hear more than I have ever on just about every disc I put in. I enjoy all the stages and it is something I like. I also like detail so don't sacrifice detail like I did once to try and get more out of your stage.

Cables make a difference as I am doing a demo on Interconnects and speaker cables now and each one actually changes the demension of the stage to some degree.

Important to note that while I say how big my stage is, it still remains very musical and cohesive. Its not fatiguing to listen to but does take a bit of training or getting use to as for the first time you hear it, you will just be like, "man what was that and where did it come from, I've never heard that there before"... so I wind up replaying things over to hear it because I've just never heard it like that before.

Stage is important but so is detail and musicality so just try to find the happy balance with the gear you have to draw out the best it can do across the board.

Enjoy the music,
Thanks for the interesting and informative responses. I agree with what has been said and continue to learn from you all daily.

My real re-interest in soundstage stems from a demo back when the Devore Nines came out. I owned the Super 8 at the time and was never really satisfied with the speaker despite the rave reviews and member accolades.

I went to a dealer that carried the Nines and heard them in the same room on the same gear as the Fidelio Encores. I recall the gear being all ARC reference. The pre was the Ref 3, Ref 110 tube amp and cd7. I'm aware of price discrepancy between the speakers, but that is not the point, as both are great.

I was shocked at the difference in presentation between the two speakers. Neither had a perfect synergy with the electronics, however both where in the same very well treated room with identical electronics, cables, conditioning, etc.

The soundstage of the Verity's was set up around 6 feet behind the speakers and remained firmly planted. The air in the room gave the sense of distance and placement. Not only did the speaker control the soundstage, but it gave the space in between me and the soundstage a clear and firm perspective. Air, space, distance, etc.

The Nines did something very different. They also had a great stage, but the individual instruments took on more of the focus rather than the entire presentation. The air in between me and the soundstage was less firm and stable and perhaps less separated than the Verity's. It was easy to listen to one instrument and then move to another, but the stage was less planted in one space.

To add personally to what Blindjim said, in this case, my mind was more at ease and relaxed with with the Verity presentation. I just fell into it instead of trying to listen.

Speakers and systems are individual and I hope to gather more opinions.