Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The Frogman:

I didn't realize you had posted this clip before. You know I would have commented. I would not have known what to say or how to say it, but that has never stopped me in the past.

Most often after you make your comments on your postings, there is really little anyone can add. It's like Einstein giving a talk on relativity to freshmen college students, and when finished asking, 'any comments?'. :)

You nailed it on this clip. I listened to it three times. Tried to find it on Amazon but could not, other than MP3.

I have noticed that great Jazz is getting harder to find except at exhorbiant prices from 'these sellers'. Get it while you can.

The playing on the clip was great, but the icing on the cake was that you could SEE the magic being created. Live sound is the best, but it's the visual part that makes it special. The closeup of the reed players was priceless. Pros at work.

The reeds brought Ellington to mind. I have several by Hanna, but all are solo efforts. He was Julliard trained and taught college and even wrote a ballet. I guess he was a genuis.

Nice shout-out to 'us' guys in the brass section. :)
Thanks for the clip. One of the best on this thread so far.

I think this was done in Europe. Does the audience affect the playing of the musicians?

Nothing worst that an unappreciative audience. The greatest(worst) example being, Ahmad Jamal at the Pershing, playing 'poinciana'.

Cheers

Leersfool, now that I know what you like, I believe I can help expand your jazz collection. Here's Benny Green on trombone, tell me what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2i-vAINqUg

Enjoy the music.
Benny Green "Glidin Along" features Johnnie Griffin, Ben Riley and Junior Mance. This is excellent jazz trombone, Benny could play!
Charles,
Hi guys - just quickly listened once to Frogman's clip - I was not familiar with that band, very nice! I'll have to check out some more of their stuff.

Orpheus, I had not heard Benny Green, seems from the two clips I listened to that he is a pretty good player - I will definitely check out some more of him, he didn't actually play much on the two clips I heard, it was much more the sax guys.

Rok, yes, the audience most definitely has a very serious effect on the musicians, especially the smaller the group (of musicians, I mean).
Learsfool,
That Benny Green CD I suggested yesterday has no shortage of trombone, it`s high level Bop and a couple of ballads.