Is it normal for the woofer to move in/out slowly

My only tubed piece is the pre-amp. It is the only piece I turn off when not in use. I noticed that when I turn it off the woofers on my speakers move in and out rather slowly while I hear what I assume are the tubes discharging.

Is that normal and more importantly can it cause damage to the speakers?

Thanks
bokfudo
On your pre amp do you have a mute switch;if so I would mute first and then power off to see if it happens.
Do your amp(s) have a standby switch? It seems to me that you are seeing the affects of the pre amp tubes bleeding down and the power amp(s) is passing that affect to the woofer.As far a damage I would not think that would cause any.
IMO it is asking for trouble turning off a pre amp while the amps are on. Why do you turn it off? Maybe I am old school, but I have always left my pre amps on.
4est, he turns the pre only off because it is a TUBE unit. Tubes wear out just being left on. SS does not
Well, some Tube preamp manufactures recommend them turned on all the time, I've had mine on for over 2 years with original tubes...
1. It's not abnormal

2. It's only bad if it drives the woofers to their mechanical limits.

If you really wanted you could hang a scope on your speaker terminals and see what's happening.

1-1.5 volts peak is fine even for tweeters (That's what I get in the power amp connected directly to my main actively tri-amplified system's tweeters and they have over a thousand power cycles on them).