Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Hi guys - just wanted to let you all know that if I don't respond for a few days, it is because my internet has been sketchy lately, and we are upgrading from our DSL to something else, I think on Tuesday. I also won't be home much anyway. To respond to a couple of things for the moment:

Frogman, I have of course heard of the Village Vanguard, though I have not had a chance to get there whenever I have been up in New York. Thanks for the info on that band. I can imagine how inspiring that was to be going there regularly during those days...

Charles, I'll try to check out some more Benny Green when I get a chance!

Orpheus, I am not so big on Chuck Mangione or Herb Alpert, though I do have a couple of Herb Alpert albums that I picked up for a buck...some of his album covers and tunes were really hilarious, though, and there are some great tunes on some of his albums, for sure. I will check out the two vocalists you mentioned at some point and get back to you on them, but as I said I may not be back on this board for a few days.

I was listening to bird with strings and it sounds just as new and fresh as it did the day he recorded it.

I have a story to tell you about that music. This was at a time before everyone had AC, and the screen door was the only thing that separated them from the outside world when it was hot. Every time I passed this one house, I heard music that I had never heard before, "anywhere". That house was between our house and the candy store. On my way to get candy (I was nine at the time) I "accidentally" dropped a dime in grass in front of that house; this meant I had to get down on my hands and knees to look for it, that gave me more time to hear this beautiful music coming through that screen door.

Over 10 years later, I bought "Bird With Strings", and I had the feeling that I'd heard this music before. Each time I played "Bird With Strings" I was certain I heard it before, but I couldn't place where. Many years later, in a conversation about the people who lived in that house, did I put Birds music, and dropping that dime together. They liked jazz, and it was rumored, they even smoked pot.

Enjoy the music.
Today my local PBS station played:

Duke Ellington and his Orch with HERB JEFFERIES singing 'FLAMINGO'.

WOW!

I didn't recognize the performers when I heard it, but it only took a few minutes to find it online.

I understand he is still alive.

Youtube is just toooooooooo much. An abundance of magic. Where would we be without it! Hell, how could we live without the internet period! Thanks Al Gore. :)

Cheers