Speakers for a large room for around $1000

I am moving soon into a new house where the main room is about 12x14ft with a vaulted ceiling up to the second floor (maybe about 15-20 ft high).

I am looking for 2-channel stereo speakers exclusively for music. I don't really play my music that loud, but I do like the music to really fill up the room. I'm not a huge audiophile (meaning I'm not going to spend a lot of time analyzing or obsessing over my speakers)--- all I'm looking for are some good solid speakers that have a good frequency response (and might sound good with a tube amplifier).

My budget is about $1000. I could stretch that up to maybe $1300, but I'd have to be convinced the extra is really worth it. I'd also really prefer to have new speakers, mostly for the warranty. Though again, I could be convinced otherwise if it's worth it.

I've considered speakers from a whole bunch of manufacturers, i.e, Paradigm to B&W, Axiom, DefTech, Klipsch, Polk, etc, but due to my geographical location I'm really not able to demo many, so I'm stuck trying to make this decision based on online reviews. It's tough for me to separate audio speakers from home-theater speakers just by reading reviews.

Any and all help is really appreciated!
blnd2spll
Rrog, being a former vandersteen owner, I would have to agree with you.My former vandis were hooked to a audio research vs55,sweet sound.
So I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of the Mirage OMD 15s. As far as I can see it, here are the pros and cons of the main ones I'm considering (sorry this gets a bit long winded):

Mirage OMD 15s:

Pros:
-Designed to be musical speakers that interact well with the room and are have very good off-axis response.
-The price is right (and on top of that, for $2k speakers originally, it's a great deal)
-New, so they have a warranty
-30-day in home evaluation/return policy

Cons:
-might not be that great at low volume levels
-might not match up great with tubes
-I don't have an opportunity to hear them in action

Vandersteens:

Pros
-Everything but the aesthetics and size

Cons
-The aesthetics and size
-possibly have some build issues over time (but I'm not really concerned about this)
-no warranty
-no ability to hear them in action

Klipsch
-the older ones are way to big, the newer ones get a lot of crap for their quality (or compared to the old ones, at least). And I can't demo these, and supposedly horn speakers are very hit or miss with each person. But, they would work with tubes and fill a room.

Revel Concerta F12
-A bit more than I really can spend, maybe not good with solid state, getting a bit on the big side

ProAc Studio 125
-Hard to find and listen to. Can't really find too much about them.

Paradigm Monitor7:
-I was able to demo these, and I liked them, but they seem like they have trouble filling a room, and they have all the limitations of slightly smaller speakers. But they have the benefits of being new and warranty.

As I said, the Vandy are, unfortunately, pretty much out of the race, as they are the only ones on this list that my wife specifically vetoed on aesthetic ground (and until I get a dedicated music room, I can understand her concerns). The same goes for the older Klipsch models. There also a bunch of other brands (Aperion, Axiom, DefTech, Focals, Pols, B&W, Totem, Vienna, Monitor Audio, KEF, Energy, Epos) that for one reason or another have yet to really stand out as valid or good possibilities.

Any last thoughts before I make a final decision on this. Is there anything above that I am wrong about or overemphasizing? Are there any last models that people might suggest I take a look at or at least consider?

(and thanks again for all of the help)

Unsound, Richard Vandersteen told me about this problem during a telephone conversation. On some of the later models he incorporated a warning system with LEDs that would flash behind the grill.

A common cause is when the volume is increased enough to hear music outside like during a party or a backyard BBQ.
Since the speaker is a sealed enclosure there is nowhere for the heat to go, no ventilation.
Here's a longtime favorite of mine in your price range:

http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/brand.cfm?brand=6&detail=ok&PN=TFE200-B&Site=1

The DCM TFE-200s are a really high value speaker, IMO. They are large speakers, but with a narrow baffle that might pass the WAF test. They are avilable in a wood or black veneer.

I heard them in a large conference room at one of the NYC HE shows, driven by a 25 watt/channel Joilda integrated. There was no sense that they could have used more wattage. Everyone in the room was impressed by their open, dynamic sound and full, tight bass. I believe they come with a 30-day return option, too.

If I had the space and a limit of $1K to spend on loudspeakers, I would probably end up with these.