Better 2-channel music

My system consists of the Marantz SR7007, a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks, Emotiva XPA-3 for center and surround, Rythmik 15HP sub, Oppo 103, Focal 1000 Be II series front and center, Infinity IL10 surround and back. I listen music from CD and different digital sources and movies from bluray DVD and Netflix, Amazon... My complaint is the Marantz doesn't deliver the quality of 2-channel audio as I expected. My plan is to upgrade either to Emotiva XMC-1 or Marantz AV8802. All suggestions and advices will be greatly appreciated.
128x128philkoan
"It's still a mystery to me how such a perfectionist group is so willing to accept imperfection when it comes to in room frequency response."

But isn't a part of this issue supposedly remediated by the use of an AVR and it's autocalibration/eq for driver distance and in room response?

If the OP has done this with his AVR and finds the experience still lacking - what will additional room treatment provide?

My own experience is much the same of the preponderance of recommendations that an AVR or a pre/pro with ext amp was the 'weak link' - just too many other compromises to fit all those features into a single unit to hit a target price point.

I don't believe, however, that there are generalizations, but rather each situation is dependent on the specific units in question in relation to the budget.

Could you get 'better' sq using an HT-centric AVR or pre-pro? I would say yes - but at what price point in comparision to say what I did - a dedicated audio 2-channel int amp with HT-bypass. For me, a marked step up in sq!

ymmv....
I bet you guys thought I was a little hard on Bob. lol. He does have a way with words. Take these for example.

"A problem with the 2-channel solutions suggested is that they all ignore the speaker/room interaction."

I see a couple of things here I don't quite get. First is the 2 channel solution recommended fixed the OP's problem. Philhoan has declared that he's getting the best sound he's ever heard. I say, we should just het him be so he can enjoy his system, but I guess I'm not the expert that you are. The second thing is that you're factually incorrect when you say that the 2 channel solutions recommended ignore room/speaker interrogation. The real beauty of the traditional 2 channel solution is that it allows you to keep room integration and electronics 2 separate entities. You're statement that we ignore it is just ignorance on your part. You don't need a home theater preamp to get a flat response. People have been doing without them for years.

"It's still a mystery to me how such a perfectionist group is so willing to accept imperfection when it comes to in room frequency response. At least Richard Vandersteen gets it."

I nearly wet my pants I laughed so hard when I read that. You don't even have Vandersteen speakers. I do, however. Several pairs. You could say I'm a big fan. Since you seem to be speaking for Richard when it comes to what he gets, and does not get, you may want to get your facts straight. The main feature that makes Vandersteen speakers special, it that they are time and phase correct. Its the main reason people buy them. If you use a HT preamp, or any type of room correction device, any adjustments you make, digital or analog, alters phase. Simply put, the answer to your mystery question, at least for Vandersteen speakers, is that it destroys what makes them special. And there's no need to take my word for it, call Vandersteen. He'll get on the phone and tell you himself, in a very mild mannered, low key tone of voice that he's famous for. The answer to your mystery question for other speakers, was already dealt with in the beginning of my post. We deal with the room separately. It's not ignored.
Post removed 
Post removed