Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Listen

The Three Sounds -- EIGHT CLASSIC ALBUMS

Gene Harris(piano), Andrew Simpkins(bass), Bill Dowdy(drums) Nat Adderley and Stanley Turrentine appear on some of the CDs.

Four Cds containing eight albums. One of the great bargins in Jazz. Great sound quality, flat piano on one track notwithstanding.

Check it out. I think I paid 10 dollars on Amazon.

Cheers
Rok, that "Summertime" was so awesome I played it twice, and I'm still sweating, no AC at that time.

"Song For My Father" is one of my favorites by Horace. In regard to the east, here's something that leaves no doubt. "Calcutta Cutie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LM9opF6kOw

Enjoy the music.
Acman3, she is without a doubt the most expressive artist I've ever seen. Hiromi puts body and soul, with the emphasis on "body" into her very artistic performance.

Enjoy the music.
Hi Orpheus - I am back online now, and I have heard the Bennie Green clip you posted, from Glidin Along. I do like the music, however it unfortunately brings up one of my pet peeves in the recording of the brass instruments on many of these jazz albums. For some reason, they are very often recorded with the mike WAY too close - often they are playing with it just a few inches from the bell of the horn. This creates obnoxious feedback, and pretty much destroys their sound, as much of the extraneous noise that is made while playing is audible, when it would normally not be, even up quite close to them live. There are some Miles Davis albums I have where he is recorded this way, but the rest of the group sounds great. I just don't get it - it really makes no sense at all, either from a musical or a technical standpoint. It's not like these guys can't make a decent sound and NEED the help of the mike, like so many pop singers do. OK, rant over.
O-10:

****How about the real deal?******
*** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHpkYI5_FY ***

When this record was released, it created quite a stir in the state of Mississippi.

First of all, people assumed she threw a baby off the bridge. This was back in a time when there was such a thing as shame.

Secondly, and most importantly, for a spell, people did not know if she was black or white. So they didn't know whether they could show that they liked the song or not. In public that is.

Lest you think this is silly, when I worked in the movie theater, the Rock & Roll movie 'Rock Around the Clock', was shown at a special showing at midnight on a saturday night, "Adults Only"!!!! I was the only young person in town that got to see it. hahahhahahah

I think back and can't believe it.

It is a great song. Mississippi has always punched above it's weight when it comes to musicians and writers.

Cheers