Usijng two different subwoofers

I would like to add another subwoofer to my system. I currently own a B&W ASW 850 15" model. They are no longer made. Could I use another brand, such as the Velodyne DD15 15" with great results in my system, depsite being a different brand? They are both acoustic suspension and I use the SMS-1 on the B&W already.

Thanks in advance.
Ciao,
Audioquest4life
audioquest4life
AQ4L,

Just curious - Have you ever tried crossing an octave higher?

IME, the room usually does its nastiest work in this region. Check out the FR readout from the RTA function on the SMS-1 up through 100hz. If your room is anything like mine, it won't be pretty. A little PEq juice from the SMS will help your subs work wonders, though.

Marty
I feel that crossing anywhere above 60Hz is for HT only, the lower the better. I use 25Hz on my RELs. SUB woofers should operate below the range of the woofer.
From my experiences, having the crossover set between the low bass frequency up to the 2x that frequency yields best results. My speakers are rated to 32hz, I have settled on a 52 hz crossover, because that was the smoothest on the spectrum plot. My room had one suckout that was handled with the moving my sitting position to precisely the best location between the front and rear walls. With both subs, that suckout is mostly eliminitaed. Aerosmith, Lick and a Promise and Rats in the Celler, two songs I use to test my sub setup sound great, the double kick from the bass drum is hard and pronounced, it was before, but not as much now, and before, I had to turn the volume up on the sub to get to the level of impact I wanted. Now, it is all there in spades. In regards to my tuning technique, I am always conservative on vloume so as not to make the sub known or be heard per se.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life