Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I must admit that although they get a tad boomy at times in my room and they don't extend as low or impactful as I want, the Nola Metro Gold I have on loan are wonderfully musical and engaging. I had a great midnight to 2am listening session with them last night. Probably so good because I couldn't play at my usual listening level. Needed to keep it down. It was wonderful.

So many good speakers. Just hard to find one with everything.
08-16-15: Mattnshilp
I must admit that although they get a tad boomy at times in my room and they don't extend as low or impactful as I want, the Nola Metro Gold I have on loan are wonderfully musical and engaging. I had a great midnight to 2am listening session with them last night. Probably so good because I couldn't play at my usual listening level. Needed to keep it down. It was wonderful.

That's the booze talking....
I'm not sure if discontinuity is the correct term your looking for but the Vandy Sevens in my room have no such thing. Its exactly the opposite. There is such a seemless blend of bass with the lower midrange and of course that can be adjusted if there is not the blend you desire due to your room. The bass on the Sevens is one of their many strong points and have such incredible pitch definition that I think Matt is looking for. I think the veiled sound in the upper regester you mentioned is due to the ARC transport and the Berkeley DAC2. The Berkely in my system also was not quite as dynamic and didn't have the quality of midrange timbre or treble extension that my Bricasti M1 has.
Matt, I have to agree with Richfield on the upper register. I had a bit of that on my Treo's (only on a couple of recordings) when I first got them. that was with my old DAC set up. Since I got the OSDE/se I've felt that continuity was their strong point. I personally dislike the ARC digital gear. I don't feel it's in the same ballpark as what you have or the Bricasti, which you know I also feel strongly about.

The thing about Johnny is that he does analog. That's what he is set up for IMHO. I've heard the 7's in a few other applications from others homes and I have a few friends who have them and they feel they're the best speaker they've heard and like you they auditioned so many 50=200k speakers it made MY head spin, lol. LOL...You have now made me want to go listen to a few other speakers on your list as I like to keep up on top gear like the rest of the guys in this thread. Thanks for sharing.