Another

~

It's time to move up in my system. I'd appreciate some amp recommendations, as I haven't heard too many amps, and have little knowledge of some of the nuances involved in making a decision. Field testing amps is also difficult where I live.

My system is Magnepan 3.7 speakers; (2) Vandersteen 2wq subwoofers; Mojo Audio Mac Mini feeding a PS Audio Directstream DAC, straight to amp. No preamp. (Transparent ICs, Shunyata Triton, Anaconda PCs, DH Labs and Silnote SCs.) The current amp is a very fast and very powerful Class-D switching amp with tons of headroom.

The system is noiseless, clean, precise, detailed, neutral. The soundstage is huge, holographic, and immersive. Live recordings are the bomb. Sometimes it seems a bit sharp or harsh, but that's often the recording or the room. Overall, soft and sensuous, it ain't, but I can hear every note and breath.

I've heard some denigrate a different switching amp -- "I can hear the switching." This from a tube guy. I'd prefer not to get into any Class-X wars.

A local dealer is suggesting I look at Bryston, a classic match for Maggies, I'm sure, but he also suggests that the Bryston can be somewhat two-dimensional. His solution is a Levinson 532H, which he holds as more three-dimensional than Bryston.

Or, he has a demo Acoustic Research Ref150. Somehow, I doubt I'd like to go with tubes, due to the sonics, the expense, and the 'hassle' of dealing with tubes.

All of the prices mentioned are more than I'd like to spend, but I've gotta deal with that part of it.

So, I'd love to hear recommendations.

And... how does one audition amps when they live in an area of so few B&M audio stores?

~
rhanson739
@Zd542 Great idea, but to be honest, I have zero experience with other amps,
so I can't provide a linkage. I know of no other audiophiles nearby, and the
closest dealer is a 5-hour r/t away. (Actually, I have briefly heard a Bryston
behind Maggies at the dealer, and an ARC setup that sounded less than
impressive to me, so I have a bit of experience, but nothing that amounts to
much.)

@Guido Power output is 600 into 8; 800 into 4; 1,400 into 2. Perhaps we could
have a game of "Guess That Amp", but clearly I've been steering away from
naming names so far.

Looks like the Pass might be something to seriously consider. Now, I wonder
where I can get an audition or demo unit? I'm in eastern NC... At the Pass site, it
appears that I have to give up a lot of personal information just to find out where
a dealer is.
For Pass Labs, try Reno Hifi. THey have a 10 day home demo. Although I have not purchased from them they have been very responsive to my questions.
Mark at Reno Hi Fi

Highly recommended, from personal experience - though I haven't purchased directly from him (yet).

Mark sells new, demo and used Pass gear and has a generous return policy where you only pay shipping.
Rhanson, looking at the specs you posted, you might be using an amp powered with an Anaview module... True or false, the obvious problem I can see, regardless of relia bility of your particular implementation, is that the Maggies are primarily 4 Ohms speakers, and the amp you use has only a moderate rise in power from 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms... If nothing else, the match is potentially sub-optimal.

If you are keen in changing amp, and are fond of well implemented class D amps -- Yes I am by the way -- I would suggest amps based on Pascal M-Pro2 modules or NCore NC1200 modules. Typically, these amps deliver 400W/8 and 800W/4 and I fully expect to match the Maggies with aplomb.

In the Pascal M-Pro2 arena, I recommend the Rowland Continuum S2 integrated: $9500. Yes, there is a very knowledgeable Rowland dealer in NC. I checked with the Rowland factory... Continuum S2 is compatible with Maggie 3.7. And yes, I have heard the amp... It's quite amazing... Rowland reliability by the way is legendary... There are Rowland amps still making music that have rolled out of the factory in the mid to late '80s. Roy Gregory has reviewed Continuum S2 for The AudioBeat. His findings match my opinion exactly:
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/jeff_rowland_continuum_s2.htm

On the NCore NC1200 side, I recommend the Merrill Veritas monoblocks. Merrill sells direct from his factory in N.J. List is $12K... Yes, price is high in absolute $$$$s, but the amp far outperforms its price point. Power rating is 400W/8 800W/4 with 38 Amps peak current. I have reviewed this marvellous amp for Positive Feedback:
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68/merrill_audio.htm

Best, Guido