Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, glad you liked "Voyage"; it's a gem. "Focus" has also been a favorite of mine for a long time. It happens to be one of the very first jazz records I ever purchased, and back at a time when I really could not understand nor appreciate it; no longer. Thanks for the link.

The Frogman:

Nice article on the electric bass. Sometimes it seems as if the audience / fans, consider themselves more of a purist than the creators themselves. :) I am guilty.

Cheers

Although I'm not a religious person, I can feel the sadness, and the faith in this young lady's voice when she took the problem without a solution to "Jesus". Once she told Jesus, she knew everything was going to be all right. Every time I hear her sing, "I told Jesus, he said everything was going to be all right now"; I can feel her heavy heart, and her faith in Jesus at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSkqfm73HxQ

"Salt Song" is the title of the album, and there's a picture of Stanley, facing the ocean in front of huge breaking waves. This is a fast paced number that captures the intensity of those waves breaking on the shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVlGVZQFAEQ

"Gibralter" has a fascinating rhythm that floats my boat; Eric Gale's guitar never sounded better, and Stan is blowing his ass off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTBRiyB4KpU

Without a doubt, this is one of my favorite albums.

Enjoy the music.
Today's Listen:

Dianne Reeves -- THE GRAND ENCOUNTER

I have always felt that backing is everything when it comes to Jazz singing. Well if that is true, check this out.

Miss Reeves is backed by:
Clark Terry(trumpet), Harry 'sweets' Edison(trumpet), Phil Woods(alto sax), Bobby Watson(alto sax), James Moody(tenor sax), Al Grey(trombone), Kenny Barron(piano), Toots Thielemans(harmonica), Rodney Whittaker(bass) and Herlin Riley(drums)

You would think with this lineup, Dianne would get lost in the preceedings. You would be wrong. She is up front and center, and the focus of the entire set. The recording is excellent. Great dept to the soundstage.

The performance? Wow!! What a voice and what a talent. If she had come along back in the heyday of Jazz she would have been up there with the Ella's and Sarah's of Jazz divas.

Great song selection. 'Besame Mucho', made me smile. I just knew she was in front of me, singing just for me.

She does a duet with Joe Willaims on 'Tenderly' and another with Germaine Bazzle on 'Side by Side'. Both are exceptional.

The band gives great support. They never overpower her. Professionals!

Like Jazz singing? If you don't have this one, you don't.

Cheers
Rok2id, I am ordering this one per your well displayed good musical taste that I agree with. (female vocals do shine on my system, If I do say so myself:)
I like Dianne Reeves "I Remember" album