What is the best tube pre-amp for my system

I am considering an Ayon Spheris lll to complement my Ayon CD 5, both are tube systems, powered by a Pass 350-8. Speakers are B&W 802N, not the Diamonds. Before I commit to the Ayon, I would like to hear from anyone with practical knowledge of really good tube Pre-amps
Ag insider logo xs@2xsnooker14
Thank you Reynolds. Perhaps I will look at the S-5 in the near future. I will
call Pass tomorrow. I also wondered about that. I will have 15 days to audition the Spheris, which is a good thing.....
If you buy used you get to try in your room with your system. If you don't like it you can sell used and get your money back. It's the only way short of a thirty day dealer demo.

Snooker14 hi, Have you tried direct connection between your Ayon CD5 and Pass 350.8?

As the Ayon has output level control at it's lowest setting from 0-4V variable.

And your Pass amp is 50kohm input impedance and only needs 2v in to drive it to max output.

So as you can see you don't need more electronics and gain in the signal path.
As doing a direct connection from Ayon to the Pass is a perfect match, impedance, gain and drive, and will give you the most transparent sound you can get, also save you a stack of money not getting a preamp.

Unless you wish to add some colouration by using preamp, then you will have the added problem of way too much gain.

Cheers George
I agree with George. You would be spending a ton of money to purchase a preamp that would do justice to your existing equipment, and if it provided any benefit at all it would probably be the result of either providing a more transparent volume control mechanism (which I doubt, given the apparent quality of the CD-5), or masking an existing deficiency in the system (which would be best addressed, if present, by determining the root cause and correcting it). And at the same time it may reduce overall transparency unacceptably, and it would probably result in too much gain, as George indicated. The latter issue forcing you to either use the preamp's volume control undesirably close to the bottom of its range, or to use it in conjunction with a lowered volume setting on the CD-5, which would negate what may be the main potential benefit of adding a preamp.

Regarding the impedance question raised by Reynolds853, both the 30 ohm output impedance of the Spheris and the 300 ohm output impedance of the CD-5 are fine matches for the X350.8.

Regards,
-- Al