Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt, how many hours of break-in do the Consequence Ultimate have on them? Shoutiness could be a temporary artifact of incomplete breakin, as much as it might be caused by non optimal placement. In the former case, patience should do the trick. If the latter, a call to your dealer might be in order for suggestions, recommendations, or an at home consultation session. G.
Matt,that isis speaker has decent specs,however, why would you buy foreign speakers, the jbl dd-67000 everest speakers are horn loaded like the ones your looking at,give them an audition.
09-13-15: Audiolabyrinth
Matt,that isis speaker has decent specs,however, why would you buy foreign speakers, the jbl dd-67000 everest speakers are horn loaded like the ones your looking at,give them an audition.

He should buy whatever sounds like music. Specs be damned. Some speakers I have heard measure ruler flat but sound like death....
It is said that many listeners think they want a system with flat frequency response, until they hear one! My experience agrees with Agear's.
Agear,
I agree 100% with your statement. You have to listen as Matt is effectively demonstrating with his speaker auditions.