Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
09-21-15: Mattnshilp
No more Shout. The shout is out.

....Its still there a bit, but it's clearly a room interaction and not a speaker byproduct.

So as long as your system does not spit out more than 85 dB there is no shout?

One of the guys who helped with my room mentioned your soffits and their 90 degree angles and potential phase issues that cannot be totally ameliorated by speaker positioning, etc. He said the taller the speaker, the more of a problem it is....
I think that it will come down to whichever speaker can FAITHFULLY REPRODUCE this fine NJ anthem from the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk
A true classic Agear! Beethoven only wished he could write quality tunes like that!
Loving this thread. Matt, glad you are getting so close. It's funny as I was dealing with much of the same in my system switch. Once I put the new Ayre Twenty in, I realized that I didn't have to chose between tube sound or SS sound at all. I'm sure there are other electronics and speakers that will do the same thing. I can promise you that if you think you are missing something, that you are in your head and won't be happy for the long run. You'll always sit and say "what am I missing or where is that high end etc". I agree that a very long audition is the only true way to know, but we know that's not real.