Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
"It is not correct to say that all active preamps take away from detail and transparency or add colorations. Some give you *less* coloration with greater detail and transparency."
+1,Ralph.
You hit the nail on the head.

That is precisely what a preamp did for my whole system - greater detail and transparency.
Having a preamp also solved the impedance mismatch between the K-01 and Bryston 28B monos.

But in George's little world, change the source OR power amp! Surreal!

Cheers@ J.

How in g**s name can a active preamp give you more REAL detail (not perceived detail because of distortions) from the source than the same well match direct source to poweramp.??

Please produce some laws of electronics in your answer and not voodoo speak.

Cheers George
Not to disagree with two of my favorite and most respected A'gon colleagues (Ralph & Jon), but if:

1)The output stage of a source component can drive whatever power amp is being used and the associated interconnect cables without compromise, or, alternatively, at least as well as whatever preamp might be inserted between those components, AND

2)The volume control in the source component, assuming it has one, is EITHER:

(a)As transparent in the range of settings that would be used in the no preamp configuration of the system as it would be if set for use with a preamp (i.e., at or near max in typical cases), OR

(b)As transparent as the volume control that is provided in whatever preamp might be introduced into the signal path,

then it seems to me that the only way inserting a preamp into the signal path can result in sound quality that is subjectively preferable would be by producing an output that is less true to the source material (i.e., less accurate) than the signal that is provided to it by the source component.

And I believe that George is using the term "coloration," or "colouration" in Down-Under speak, to mean essentially the same thing as "inaccuracy."

Best regards,
-- Al
Yes Al, same, same, colourations, distortions, inaccuracy.

I use the word colourations when I'm being kind, after that when pi**'ed I'll start to use the proper term "distortions".

Cheers George
09-28-15: Almarg
Not to disagree with two of my favorite and most respected A'gon colleagues (Ralph & Jon), but if:

I too Al have respect for Ralph, and have praised his OTL amps many times in these forums and others when partnered with the "right speaker".
But I'm at a loss also in this thread, makes me think there is something else at play.

Cheers George