Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
Phd; The Pass Laboratories Aleph L (2 different versions?) and Pass's First Watt B1 and B2 were interesting offerings.
Rustler, I use the Aesthetix Calypso with an Esoteric K-05 and I enjoy the combination a great deal. It gives you the opportunity to tailor the sound by tube rolling.

The gain of the Calypso can be reduced by 12dB by switching two pair of jumpers in the preamp. This can be done easily by the user. Instructions are in the manual.
Unsound, you are right. I just thought it was ironic that Nelson Pass suggested that active preamps are inferior to passives yet actives are the only thing he manufactured. Maybe Georgelofi got it right when he said that there is more money to be made with active preamps.
No money in them ask me, he makes 10 x the profit making actives, why add passive to the range and effect sales of the actives, it's called business strategy, and he's a very wealthy man because of it.
If passive is superior, why can't you charge 20x of an active? In this stupid hobby where audiophiles pay CRAZY $ for a piece of wire, you can make it work.

One example is produce one above the top of line XS. If passive is truly superior, it will sell with a BIGGER margin.

YPSILON offers a passive and active PST-100.