Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

10-01-15: Tortilladc
Stereophile just posted a review of a GBP 9,000 ($13,619) passive preamp.

[/quote]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GyhUlk9a9XA/VP5Csf0PiVI/AAAAAAAA2Nc/p_qnnqHizO0/s1600/the_bespoke_audio_company_preamplifier_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_01_1.jpg[/url]

You do get a pair of white gloves with it.

Cheers George
The correct answer is no. That should suffice for now. Even attenuated power amps with dials for gain like my McIntosh must have circuits that allows for attenuation to control volume is indeed acting just like a passive pre amp.

The correct answer is no! once again.
That's so the missus doesn't leave fingerprints after she's stabbed you in the back.

Here’s another incident

A women is on trial for murdering her husband by bludgeoning him to death with his antique guitar collection

Upon taking the witness stand the judge asked her ... “So first offender” ... to which she replied “No your honor , first the Gibson and then the Fender”