Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Mapman, more than likely, much of the music that you heard during your visit to the Dominican Republic was "merengue" where the genre originated.

Chazro, Dafnis Prieto is a rhythm genius; brilliant drummer. Thanks. May seem simple, but amazing and incredibly difficult:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXpxsXC4Tdw

Acman3, great clip. And with Tom Harrell; undoubtedly the most underrated trumpet player in recent times! Love his flugelhorn playing in particular.

Rok, would this Eddie Fisher play the guitar in St. Louis, E. St. Louis, and Centerville-Illinois. If so that's the one. Although I saw him play, and it was decided by the majority that he could become rich and famous if he ever left Centerville, they could get him to leave only long enough to play a gig.

As often as I saw him play, I never got acquainted; although I'm sure there are some who would want to know, "What's your story Morning Glory"? I never got the chance to talk to him and find out.

Enjoy the music.

Rok and Frogman, I'm sure you're both wrong about Cuba, it's not a third world country. While economically it looks like a third world country, the fact that it has an educational foundation plus unified people who have been around the block will make all the difference in the world going forward.

Enjoy the music.
****I'm sure you're both wrong about Cuba*****

Once I thought I was wrong, turned out I was not, so that is the only time I have been wrong. You don't get to be one of the world's foremost authorities, by being wrong on anything.

****While economically it looks like a third world country, the fact that it has an educational foundation plus unified people who have been around the block will make all the difference in the world going forward.****

I am not sure there are any more third world countries. Once we had first world Countires,(The West), and second world countries(communist Bloc) and then the un-aligned countries(third World).

In any event you are correct about the Cuban education system. They even export Medical Doctors and other science teachers to the rest of Central and South America. Having said that, when the Yanqui Dollar shows up, and travel restrictions are eased, those poor people will not stand a chance.

After a while, all those doctors will be practicing in large American cities. The "Brain Drain" will also impact the people.

I don't think, THAT, Eddie Fisher ever made it to East ST. Louis. :)

Cheers
This is an interesting subject, but easy to lose focus and not start discussing apples and oranges; at least as I interpret the comments, so please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretations.

I thought that the original comments about Cuba's future had to do with the future of its music and the impact of Americanization on the music. I think there is little doubt that once there is real freedom in Cuba, not the kind of government controlled "freedom" that Communist countries like China flirt with, that we will see a real economic explosion in Cuba. What exists now, and what we will probably continue to see in the foreseeable future, is the kind of government control over every experiment in capitalism (freedom) that allows very little actual trickle down benefit to the masses while the corrupt government elite continue to take the lion's share of the influx of American $'s. Factoid: cost to an expat of renewing a Cuban passport $475 (!!!) (with additional "fees" every couple of years). Says it all in my opinion. But, I digress; back to the music. I think the point being made re the future of the music was that once there is true free exchange between Cuba and the U.S. (a mere 90 miles away) most of what we will see as Cuban culture and music will be indistinguishable from what exists in Miami now.