Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
Can we thank Almarg for finding that interesting bit of information?, yes we can. It is good to know that a preamp still has its uses. Some of you have been corrected, don't need to mention names but you are forgiven.

I also will stand corrected that an active preamp may help if, the source (dac/cdp) has a power-supply problem in it's analogue stage(as PM states) not by just adding colouration, or as I have mentioned it's output stage/impedance and output voltage is not up to the task.

For myself if we have this kind of source with these types of problems that has a VC, I can't think of it being hi-end or been designed right, better to me to change it, mod it for something that is.
How can an audiophile live with his/her source knowing the analogue power-supply stage is not doing it's job (as PM states)

PM... Imagine we have a DAC with an identical output circuit to that of a preamplifier. How would this respond driving a power amplifier directly? Theoretically as well as a preamp and, perhaps, better because we haven’t another component in the mix. But here’s something you may not have thought about.

DACs are significantly more sensitive to power supply changes and noises than preamps. When an output stage struggles to drive a complex load, it is the power supply feeding its output stage that sees these changes. If this occurs in a preamp, it has little effect. But that same situation, when applied to a DAC, has very different results indeed. Small changes in power supplies have big impacts on sound quality–especially jitter.

So this is one reason, and there are more, some preamps can help a DAC.PM

Cheers George
The suggestion then is for PM to redesign his DirectStream such that it sounds better direct to power amp, without need for the Aesthetix Calypso preamp? Poor PM - just to please some dogmatic.....

If you read carefully, not once did he refer the analogue power supply problem to his own PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

I found that DACs with no-loss digital volume controls

Cheers George

If the DirectStream sounds better via the Aesthetix Calypso, the design must be flawed right from the outset?

"For myself if we have this kind of source with these types of problems that has a VC, I can't think of it being hi-end or been designed right, better to me to change it, mod it for something that is."

So, should the DirectStream be redesigned?